Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need a cv axle for ea82

$60 new (not reman) at O'Reilly's, it's a stock item at several stores that I've checked.  I may have one that needs a new boot, I would have to see if it is still there.  

These tend to be rebuilt and garbage, they will click right out of the box.

If you can handle shipping, this is your best bet for EA axles.

http://retroroo.com/subaru-axles-denvercolorado/

Here's few pics of an Empi that clicked, locked up in corners & caused steering wheel shimmy in my 4" lifted 87GL. 3rd pic is inside of DOJ cup:

IMG_6127_zpsfb165a64.jpgIMG_6122_zpsff8346b2.jpg

IMG_6118_zps56473263.jpg

Have to believe that the extreme angle with the added lift of Tempo springs, limited travel because of spring stiffness & no front swaybar to limit rebound drop contributed to failure.

That & the Chinese Empi 5504 axles inner races do not appear to be case hardened!!!

Edited by czny

That & the Chinese Empi 5504 axles inner races do not appear to be case hardened!!!

Yeah the new chinese stuff is junk

Better off with a reman honestly

best bet is a good OE subaru axle, but those are really getting rare.  Even out west here.  Most all I find now have had axles replaced, so JY is a crap shoot too.

It's all a crap shoot.

Good thing they are easy to change.

I got one axle from O'reilly's (d-side) which seems fine and my old Suby mechanic said they get good axles from there -I think they are EMPI made. When I went to get the other, they couldn't find one right away, so I went to Autozone to get back on the road. That axle is making all kinds of noise -it's crap. Both have lifetime warranty, but I don't want another from A.Z., so I am debating taking it "back" to O.R.'s and getting the better kind, but wonder if I can get away with that without raising suspicion. Anyway, I think you get my point about where the better quality is. Autozone has really gone downhill for service and quality since O.R's came to town. Make sure you don't get GL10 axles unless that's what you have -they are 25 spline and wrong diameter. Standard axles have 23 spline inners.