Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Marketing Ploy. The test is actually rigged. Differentials will always freewheel a slipping side unless they have an LSD clutch pack setup or a locker and the passenger side is usually the side with the least traction in the event of a low traction situation.. Some Subaru's do have a rear LSD and it's quite obvious that particular vehicle has one. Has nothing to do with power.. Little touch of the brakes can also get out of the same situation without an LSD... Still the Subaru AWD is one of the best

Edited by matt167

Marketing Ploy. The test is actually rigged. Differentials will always freewheel a slipping side unless they have an LSD clutch pack setup or a locker and the passenger side is usually the side with the least traction in the event of a low traction situation.. Some Subaru's do have a rear LSD and it's quite obvious that particular vehicle has one. Has nothing to do with power.. Little touch of the brakes can also get out of the same situation without an LSD... Still the Subaru AWD is one of the best

Can you explain how this is "rigged"?

The Forester in the video obviously does slip on the far rear wheel at a pretty high RPM. All Lsd differentials I've ever owned wouldn't let that much of a diiference in wheel spin on the opposing wheel.

Just wondering... :rolleyes:

It's not rigged.

They just don't bother explaining that the Subaru has either a VLSD, or traction control (VDC)).

Nothing was rigged.  The Subaru did it.  the others could not.

I will say though that testing a Manual trans subaru would not have done so well unless it was VDC not VLSD.  And I dont think the VDC models come in manual.

Can you explain how this is "rigged"?

The Forester in the video obviously does slip on the far rear wheel at a pretty high RPM. All Lsd differentials I've ever owned wouldn't let that much of a diiference in wheel spin on the opposing wheel.

Just wondering... :rolleyes:

Plenty of LSD's are very light and will allow that much slip. Fords old Track Lok was almost like that in stock form. I'm not sure how much give a Subaru LSD has cause you can't do a burnout to find out.. Notice how once it catches the other side equalizes.. It's either got traction control or an LSD or just touching the brake could be enough to gain the traction as it adds friction to the slipping tire. The old way out of a sticky situation like that was to put on the E brake just a bit.. Look at it very closely. the driver side wheel slows very quickly then it just started climbing.. I'm not sure if 2011 Foresters had the electric parking brake or not, but a quick tug on the handle could have gotten that car moving like that.. Traction control uses the brake ABS system to add friction, which is the same thing.

It may not be rigged as I originally said ( was actually bad wording ), but I don't think it's 100% honest.  That said, I'd still take a Subaru over any of them in that lineup

Edited by matt167