Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strut upgrade for '02 Impreza Outback Sport wagon

edrach

I'm looking to replace the struts (front and rear) on my '02 OBW.  I've found fronts easily enough, but not the rears.  Only listing I've found for rear struts specify them for the TS model, but when I research makes and models, they specifically say that the TS rear struts will not fit my OBW.  I have looked into KYB and Gabriel, but am not married to any manufacturer other than I want a top of the line strut/shock assembly.  (no coilovers please, out of my price range).  AGXs would be nice but I haven't even found them for the TS.  Also not married to the adjustable struts, but would spend the extra $$ for them if I think it'll help for rallycross and street use.  Anyone done this upgrade and how has it worked out for you?

Now do you have an Impreza Outback Sport, or Legacy Outback? If the title is correct and you have an Impreza Outback Sport, then the struts for a TS will be the same. You could also use any 02-07 WRX strut. The valving will be slightly different, but same dimensions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Impreza-WRX-KYB-Shocks-Struts-Front-and-Rear-Excel-G-02-05-04-sti-/190727704048?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2002%7CModel%3AImpreza&hash=item2c6841cdf0&vxp=mtr

KYB is a good choice. I used AGX's once, and they blew in less than a year with just slightly more abuse than daily driving. But GR2's are a good solid choice.

Edited by bratman18

Now do you have an Impreza Outback Sport, or Legacy Outback? If the title is correct and you have an Impreza Outback Sport, then the struts for a TS will be the same. You could also use any 02-07 WRX strut. The valving will be slightly different, but same dimensions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Impreza-WRX-KYB-Shocks-Struts-Front-and-Rear-Excel-G-02-05-04-sti-/190727704048?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2002|Model:Impreza&hash=item2c6841cdf0&vxp=mtr

KYB is a good choice. I used AGX's once, and they blew in less than a year with just slightly more abuse than daily driving. But GR2's are a good solid choice.

I do have the Impreza Outback.

Thanks for the clear, concise reply.

• Like 1

Interesting, I have AGXs on my '97 Impreza L wagon and I'm on my 2nd set and may need to go to a third set. They work well but don't seem to last muuch more than 60K. I'll likely go with the GR2s but I'm considering the Gabriel Ultras which seem to be an adjustable shock also.