Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2004 Legacy Wagon is having a water issue.  I pulled up my protective rubber cargo mat to find a soaking wet floor!  It is only wet on the driver's side.  I pulled everything out I could, and found water clear down into the spare tire area and into the compartment that hold the jack.  The top of the mat had NO water on it, so I know that the leak is coming from below somewhere.  Any ideas on where I should start looking?  I knew my car was smelling moldy/mildewy, so at least I know where that is coming from know!

Thanks for the help!

Photo 1 shows the wet jack compartment

photo 2 shows how far down the water was found in the cargo area

post-36157-0-86160800-1380831814_thumb.jpg

post-36157-0-07454100-1380831821_thumb.jpg

oregonKJ,

The sunroof has drain tubes at each of its corners, as there will always be some water that leaks past the seals when the sunroof is closed and it rains. When these drains (really plastic tubes) get plugged with dirt, the water will overflow the rain channel and drain down into the car, rather than through the tubes to the outside of the car. Your rear draintube on the driver's side is either plugged, or the tube has disconnected from the rain channel, or the tube itself has split. In any case, the water will overflow and follow the inner plastic panels of the C pillar down to the carpeted steel floor.

Search the archives here for how to unplug the drain tubes (its a common fault) and you may get lucky. If aftercleaning out the drain tubes you still have a leak, then the headliner may have to be pulled down to fix a disconnected drain tube, or one that is split. Been there, done that. Its a DIYer, but is time consumming. Good Luck!

oregonKJ,

The sunroof has drain tubes at each of its corners, as there will always be some water that leaks past the seals when the sunroof is closed and it rains. When these drains (really plastic tubes) get plugged with dirt, the water will overflow the rain channel and drain down into the car, rather than through the tubes to the outside of the car. Your rear draintube on the driver's side is either plugged, or the tube has disconnected from the rain channel, or the tube itself has split. In any case, the water will overflow and follow the inner plastic panels of the C pillar down to the carpeted steel floor.

Search the archives here for how to unplug the drain tubes (its a common fault) and you may get lucky. If aftercleaning out the drain tubes you still have a leak, then the headliner may have to be pulled down to fix a disconnected drain tube, or one that is split. Been there, done that. Its a DIYer, but is time consumming. Good Luck!

Thanks so  much!  I will see if it works and then get to cleaning the carpet!