Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 OIL PAN REMOVAL AND INSTALL HELP

I would recommend using a quality PH2 size phillips screwdriver to remove the oil pan bolts. Conveniently,there are access holes through the cross member for the bolts at the rear of the pan.

10mm all the way ... I put a deep 10 on my Craftsman electric impact gun, easiest removal ever .

• Like 1

+1 on the rtv, but make sure it's ultra grey. It's factory sealant for a lot of manufacturers and great stuff. Also make sure everything is clean and dry. Use brake clean on a shop towel to wipe down both surfaces before application. This is not a situation where if a little is good, more is better. You don't want it squirting out inside, breaking loose when it hardens and then blocking off the oil screen. Also, tightening from the inside out doesn't apply to gaskets such as oil pan, valve cover, etc.... You tighten them in a cris-cross pattern a little at a time (in steps) until tight. This keeps even pressure on the gasket and keeps it from kinking or slipping out. Whenever possible, I try to give the ultra grey 24 hours to cure before adding oil and running it. Guaranteed seal, but it can be applied and ran right after. It's common practice at repair shops.

Ive used the factory style oil pan gasket in resealing my EA81s in the past and never ran into a oil leak after.  Clean both the engine and the oil pan very well.   Apply RTV black or grey to both sides of the oil pan gasket and let it tack up a bit.  Assemble.  You will be golden for leaks.  The RTV helps to keep the gasket from drying out.  The same procedure can be used for the valve cover gaskets which are also cork.