Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea62

HI FOLKS  New to site ,sure glad i found it'   The problem i got is during one of my back road  junk hunting   trips i came across a cute little subura motor  a  ea62 .I dont know anything about these motors. so i was hoping some one here could help. the motor looks real good. seems to have good compression. Its just the motor ,no trans,no car,and no carb.  my thoughts were to install in bug .Can some of you subaru guys maybe supply info on carbs, trans , where to get parts. or suggestions. cant find alot on web  or dont know where to look  thanks for your help if you can.

thanks for reply bumblebeast  . I could take photos but not sure i can post  motor has ea62 on it. will any other models carb fit  ,trans  like ea71 or82  . when i was looking around web these motors seem to be used alot for air craft  .it has exhaust on both side of heads i think this is only model like this  may be wrong thought i seen that some where. maybe some one restoring a ff-1 or whatever its called could use  they are supposed to be rare in us any other thoughts or information would be grateful thanks

Edited by 3sub

You're Welcome.

The Subaru FF1 (star) Uses similar engine, there is a Difference on Dry Sleeve and Wet Sleeve design, more info:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/77261-documented-the-1970-ff-1-project-car/page-60

and Yes, you can post Photos here, we Love Photos :)

Upload them first to whatever picture hosting website you want (Such like Flikr, FaceBook, etc... ) then copy the Photo's URL, then, when you're writing a post, open the green button above, under -between- the Smiley and the A. Button, paste that URL in the dialog box and the Photo will display on the Post.

The engines more often used on VW Bugs are the Subaru EA81 (1.8L without timing Belts and Carb.) the EA82 (Same displacement but with Timing Belts, Carb or EFi) and the Newer Subaru EJ engines... you'll need an Adapter plate to bolt it to the VW's transmission... More info:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/forum/29-vanagon-conversion-discussion/

Kind Regards.

1300 parts can be found.

What do you want to do with it if you can find parts? If you would actually use it the engine is very efficient and you can easily find the intake and carb from a few old school folks.

ctsuba has used parts for 1300's including the 4 spd the mates up to it.

dannybreadman on eBay has new old stock. He's here too as drivesubies .

I also have some new engine internals buried away.

Good luck. I know I want one for a future project.

vw 1600 motors are plentiful, the work and money needed to put in a smaller 1200 ea62 is not the best choice.  If I Iived closer I would trade you a vw motor for your subaru motor.  I'm sure you can find a local vw/subie guy in your neck of the woods that would do the same.

Rust i have 3 single ports 4 dual ports,and a couple of pancakes. the problem is i have this cute little ea 62  with nothing to do with it .I told bumble beast i wanted to put it in a bug but should have been clearer, vw trans axle. or build a trike  not looking for flat out power but gas sipping durability. kennedysaid they didnt make an adapter .or should i say they havent heard of a ae62. Is this motor the same  size (transmission wise) as a ea81.Maybe i could find a trans for this motor and build the trike around them.Can the bell housing be swapped on different engines ea62,ea71.ea81.just dont know the swap ability of the subaru .pm ed a couple guys moosens suggested  about parts but no reply yet.If all the parts are going to go over my thinning wallet then i will keep it or sale it. just trying to weigh out my options

your ea62 is far more valuable than any vw aircooled motor (except for 25hp split bug engines)  Yes you can make the ea62 fit into a bug, but in my opinion if I was going to go through all the effort I would put an ej series subaru motor.  Go to the samba.com there are plenty of info on this conversion.  I am sure you could trade yor ea62 for an ej, ea, or any other more sutable donar engines for the swap. 

I have multiple subarus and vw's, I still run air cooled engines in my bugs and busses because they are so cheap. the cost and effort of converting to subaru power is not worth it in my opinion. . I feel subaru engines are mechanically superior to vw engines, but until the day it is less expensive than simply bolting in an air cooled motor I will keep running them. 

Hold on to the motor, or trade/sell it for some thing you want.  Moosens is a good guy and very connected in the subaru scene.  He could probably help broker a deal to get that motor where it belongs......in a vintage subaru.

Amen to that!

Regarding cost and effort... Overhere the number of VW bugs and transporters converting to mainly EJ engines are increasing by the month... I supply the engine and converted wiring looms and it transforms those cars. Once you've run an EJ22 in a T2 or T3 you never want to go back to an anemic VW engine.

• Like 1