Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RustyBrat

so im putting a push button ignition system on my brat, dont hate, im doing it because the ignition is wearing out and you have to get the key just perfectly aligned for it to turn, and sometimes when it turns nothing happens and you have to use the OTHER key. so im going to be installing a momentary switch for the starter and wiring up an accessory switch, fuel pump switch, etc.. what i need to know is does anybody have a wiring diagram or something of the ignition so i know what wires to put to what switch?

• Like 1

yesterday i drove out to salvage some wheels for the BRAT off an abandoned 70's Chevy that i was told about. as it turns out, these wheels are wrapped in brand new 35 inch tires! one is flattened beyond repair, but hey, 3 free tires and 4 free wheels! so these will not be going on my BRAT, the Chevy gets these :) still have to find some wheels for the brat though!  ^_^

93b2951695af2b15e0b6889479e04605_zpsc26b

Edited by RustyBrat

i have an 85 brat. going to do a full wrx conversion on it, engine, drivetrain, suspension, brakes, dash/interior. i got it a few years ago, well, almost 7 years ago now, and did a lot of rust repair. i was planning on getting it running again just to be able to drive it around, but i never could get it to run right. had a massive vac leak that i couldnt find, idled around 2500rpm and stalled when i gave it gas. couldnt get the right rebuild kits for the carb, etc...  found a good deal on the engine and drivetrain from a wrecked wrx a couple years back, bought that and started pulling apart the brat while i slowly aquired the rest of the parts i needed. then got a bit sidetracked last year when i bought a house that i found when i was looking for a garage to rent, lol. it turned out to need a lot more work than i thought (seller hid a lot of problems). still a lot of work to do on the house, but i might be able to get the garage cleared out and ready for the brat in the next few weeks, then it begins.

the projects never end, there will always be something that needs done...... always

that would be awesome. that or an old hatchback.

id like to get one of the subaru diesel swaps to play with, maybe stuff it into a forester or baja, would make for a cool tow car and road trip car. maybe a small lift for snow and light duty off roading.

too many ideas, not nearly enough money or time, lol.

• Like 1

Sorry haha, I was looking at your post about the spray paint debacle with home depot and how they refunded but sent you paint anyways and I thought that was awesome cause you got it for free. Apparently when I posted your paint post had been awhile ago so it randomly put it at the end haha. I suppose I should've quoted you...i check out your thread quite a bit I like that ol rusty brat, that shits raw man!

no, I dislike putting anything on another vehicles frame because at that point it ceased to be one car and became "x vehicle with Y bodykit"

IE putting a subaru on a toyota frame.In my eyes its no longer a subaru but a toyota with a subaru body kit.

• Like 1

so today i actually got some work done! both new front axles are now installed, brakes are back on, rotors are back on and struts are back in. i also decided i had better brace the rear suspension, so i took both front torsion bar blocks off and braced them together, now both torsion bars stay still when you articulate the rear suspension. dont make fun of my welds, i figured its better to do too much welding than too little. i tested the welds thoroughly and couldn't break them, so i think they are good. (smashing on them with a 3lb sledge) let me tell you, that was not fun to re-install, i had to get pry bars and shim blocks and lots of patience to get it back in there. i will brace the other 4 blocks to these two when i take it down to my buddy's shop, i dont have a welder near the brat right now, had to take the blocks inside the school shop to weld on them. and for all you nit-pickers, i WILL be fixing the front camber tomorrow so SHUT UP about it haha. 

70cab41b1bd7ad686b8cd1f1354ad052_zps19525c520bde96052a8f45db7e05c68acbc9_zpsc415