Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RustyBrat

started hack-hack-hackin on the fenders today, the front ones are easy, but the rear is another story. that triple wall takes a LONG time to cut through. but its getting there! i just need to get a heavy sledge with a long handle and smash in the wheel wells.  :zzz: oh and also, today i discovered that i'm a giant dumbass :D when i swapped front axles, i didnt realize that on the passenger one that i took out, one of the wheel bearings had stayed on the axle. so now, as soon as i get it home, i need to pry that bearing off and re-install it.  :rolleyes: duhhrrrr OH! and one more little phenomenon, on that same axle that i forgot the bearing, the outer CV boot has twisted, which honestly makes no sense to me, because the joint has no slack in it, so it shouldnt be able to spin inside itself. im just going to straighten the boot, re-install the bearing, and play it by ear. also, i think my rear drivers side wheel bearing is shot, i actually think it has been since i got the brat. the rear drivers tire has some negative camber, and in fact actually sits back further in the wheel well than the passenger side one does. when i take the tire off and look at the axle, its actually angled back from the differential instead of straight. so... after i get the brakes worked out... i will be tackling that! GAH! the list just gets longer  :P

a014cd39172ec0f6a1914d5bc0555b27_zps75487a22857543a02fa07581e07c7dfcc0fa_zps4c3b09c6054f7cd4220a56ed92566ef56d6d_zps58d53ee3d7f6ca3db3a1852a21a63af60dae_zps19ee4278c04702726e9cebec8dfc32d41653_zpsd97e8fecadfceebb4fc40268f8193a170604_zpseb20

re-worked the exhaust today, i must say its pretty ghetto :) oh well, works just as well as anything! my welds... well we arent going to talk about my welds, they are strong, just... ugly. anywaayyy built myself a Y pipe, and now im running 2 glasspacks inline, one after the other. looks much better now too, not hanging low like the other system did. i forgot to take a picture, but i cut and welded a couple pieces of pipe onto the end forming a 90 degree angle, so the exhaust actually exits right behind the drivers door on the outside. lots of trial and error, LOTS of welding, lots of "vocabulary", but in the end, i think it turned out good. making exhaust hangers tomorrow. oh and yes, the piece of flat stock is welded to the pipes, after i cut it all apart again, i bolted up the "headers" and clamped that piece of flatstock onto them both, then welded it there so that the bolt holes would for sure line up. 

a_zps95b56372.jpg

b_zpsc66f3919.jpgc_zps36ed26e5.jpg

• Like 2

finally put hangers on the exhaust, worked out perfectly. still need to trim the exhaust, obviously. :D i had the local seamstress make me a couple shifter boots, so no more watching the ground go by through the floor! finally re-installed the 4x4 shifter, and im going to be modifying both the 4x4 shifter and the gear shifter so they are taller and easier to reach. btw, 2 shifter boots only cost me 8 bucks! i was pleasantly surprised.

photo111_zpsf02139ea.jpgphoto29_zps71d863d6.jpgphoto37_zps7363ed61.jpg

havent been able to work on the brat much, about to graduate just getting to busy. i did help an old guy clean out his garage though and i just though you guys might want to check out what was in there! 1957 chevy bel air, 100% frame off restored, high performance 350 putting out about 375 horses. we got her out and dusted her off and took a drive out some empty roads, and damn is that car FAST. 

downloadfile-2_zpspkf5sqfr.jpeg

• Like 2

took the brat to get some gas (first time since last November) and decided that the shifter is too low. so i lengthened it! had to cut and weld a few times to make it clear the blower box, but i like the curve. yeah yeah i know, shifter slop blah blah blah, but ive gotten pretty good at just guessing where the gears are :) if its too long, i can always cut it down. 

20140513_153624_zpsienvlqvo.jpg20140513_153642_zpsboefjok6.jpg20140513_160628_zpsk3fvutsl.jpg

oh! well thank you! :) im pretty proud of her and shes a lot of fun!

And there is something to be proud, in Russia there are no cars (it is the first generation) 
And those that have - very in poor condition. 
But for me the spirit of the time in these cars, I enjoy driving - and watch always surprised looks from people and other Lexus Mercedes
  • Like 1

Well for one I work my rump roast off at multiple jobs... and for two, the bug isnt mine. An older lady I know blew the engine up and the shops quote her around 4000 for a new engine and labor. I think thats bullshit, I guarantee I will have a new engine and anything else this car needs for less than 2000. She loves this thing, so im helping her out

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So... in case anybody was wondering... THIS is why the brat has not been progressing much. not that you guys want to see it cuz its CHEVY and this is a SUBARU site, but i hate all the chevy forums. yeah... they cost me a bit haha. a while back i found a free set of 3 90% tread 35s and 4 chrome wheels, so i figured just order 2 more and it will be good. alas, as i was having the 2 new ones mounted, i noticed the severe cracks in between the tread on the old ones, so i ordered 2 more new ones... but hey, i needed them. my old tires were dead. polished up the rims with an SOS pad, and BAM good as new! :) all told, $900 bucks. not bad for 4 brand new 35s and rims. i love my subaru, but hot DAMN i love this truck, its my baby. 

20140604_175629_zpsit4g9dhe.jpg

its my favorite body style :) oh i was going to say, my truck is very much an oddity. it had to have been custom ordered. it has every interior option, including rear air, except leather seats (thank god). so it is the silverado, but its ALSO the Z71, so it has a rear locker, higher rate springs (sits taller) and bilstien shocks (original btw). on top of all that, it is the heavy half ton, so even higher rate rear springs and overloads, and the 4l80e transmission (WAY better than the 4l60e). and for whatever reason, i have a 14 bolt rear axle from the factory. its very strange, i have never seen a half ton with a 14 bolt before. all in all, i have the best possible combination of parts for these trucks. i just got lucky! 

• 3 weeks later...

traded my rims for these, they are narrower than the others and have less that 4 inches of backspacing so i should be golden. got a free riding mower too, im ripping the trans-axle out of it for a different project... anybody ever heard of the old (1968-1971) PUG utility vehicles? its a cool project, maybe i'll start a thread in the off topic forum or something if you guys want me to. 

20140628_211928_zpsm3wloify.jpg