Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RustyBrat

Broke college student drives V8 chevy instead of 1.6L 4 banger.Ponder that for a moment.Your gonna be living on a fixed income.The fuel required to keep the chevy running means YOU don't get to eat anything other than top ramien and mac and cheese(on special occasions) .I give it two months before you realize how much it sucks trying to feed the chevy and yourself and then you will sell the chevy and get a 4 banger.At that point you wont have your chevy and you wont have your brat.

I'm a true mopar guy and I would like nothing better than to rumble through town in a 440 big block or even a hemi,but the reality is even the V6 2wd dakota that I am using for a daily driver is bleeding me dry.

drive the brat because its a 1978 Subaru BRAT, one of only a handful that are still surviving today,There is nothing special about the chevy because there were more chevy trucks made in ONE year than both generations of brats in they entire production span.So when it comes down to it,after college when you have money you will be able to find a chevy exactly like the one you have now,Most Brats haven't been seen for 30 years.Everyone has a story about a brat or how they miss seeing them.You will never find a contemporary chevy truck like that.Just typing "chevy truck" on craigslist I get 100 LOCAL results, while "subaru brat" yields ZERO results.If you get rid of your brat chances are you wont come across one again because they are only going to get rarer as time goes on.

Edited by Uberoo

The thing is, a 1978 subaru brat is not reliable. They are worthless and unsafe on freeways, and in reality dont get much better mpgs than my chevy. I get 15 city 19 highway in the chevy, the brat gets... who the hell knows because its not reliable enough to drive daily.

Colleges now require you to pay for a full meal plan, so no top ramen for me. I have more than enough to pay for my 2 years of school saved already, because I work several jobs and im smart with my money. I love my chevy, it looks awesome, sounds badass, and can do anything I would ever want it to do.

Dont bag on the chevy.

Edited by RustyBrat

Wait, wait, "colleges now require you to pay for a full meal plan"?

Firstoff, campus food is crap. Second, now they're making you eat it? Technically no, but if you're paying for it, you're probably gonna eat it. Why do they want you to eat their food so badly that it's almost required?

All clues tell me to not eat that food. Some may say paranoid, but it's simple logic really.

• 3 weeks later...

alright, so final decision. this version of the project is dead. the next time i get working on this thing, probably in 2 years after college, it wont really be a subaru anymore. just a 78 brat body on a custom tube chassis with toyota axles, 4.3 chevy v6, th350, dual transfer cases, 40 inch tires, etc etc. i know, big dreams, but thats whats going down! just thought i'd let you all know this thread is dead for a couple years. 

just pokin ya....and one more, before we put this thread down: a stock, non abandoned brat, correctly cared for and not modded/improved/messed with. will not only 100% be better than that chevy...trust me, experience here, but get twice the mgs or more doing it. and more females to boot.

all this aside i realize your bomber isnt most of those things so i fully support the chevy decision in your case. you said shut up lol...thats a challenge in my book.

let us know when you get back to her, we"ll be waiting

RV

alright, so final decision. this version of the project is dead. the next time i get working on this thing, probably in 2 years after college, it wont really be a subaru anymore. just a 78 brat body on a custom tube chassis with toyota axles, 4.3 chevy v6, th350, dual transfer cases, 40 inch tires, etc etc. i know, big dreams, but thats whats going down! just thought i'd let you all know this thread is dead for a couple years.

Aw that just made me so incredibly sad, your brat is one of my all time favorites. Hopefully some schooling will change your mind but either way it will still be a beachin brat

just pokin ya....and one more, before we put this thread down: a stock, non abandoned brat, correctly cared for and not modded/improved/messed with. will not only 100% be better than that chevy...trust me, experience here, but get twice the mgs or more doing it. and more females to boot.

all this aside i realize your bomber isnt most of those things so i fully support the chevy decision in your case. you said shut up lol...thats a challenge in my book.

let us know when you get back to her, we"ll be waiting

RV

:D  i disagree, no subaru brat can do the things i do with my chevy. NOT to say they dont have their merits, i love them as much as anybody, but it just doesnt fit the bill for me, you know what im saying? and about the ladies... they seem to love my bigass chevy, whereas they laugh at the brat :) twice the mpgs... doubt that... i get 17-18 on the highway, so figure 17. no 1978 subaru brat is going to get 34 mpgs going 70, just sayin. in town, i get 15. is the brat gonna get 30 in town? no, its not. just had to clear all that up! :D plus, and heres the kicker, i prefer the chevy. i love driving it, i love looking at it, i love everything about it. its all in personal taste! but never fear, the brat will live on!

Aw that just made me so incredibly sad, your brat is one of my all time favorites. Hopefully some schooling will change your mind but either way it will still be a beachin brat

i like it too the way it is, but its just never going to be as capable as i would like it to be. think of it this way, when i get it built up the way i want it, i'll be rolling with the big boys. the subaru name will get some representation, and probably i will be the first ever REAL first gen brat rock crawler.

I was pulling anywhere from 350-400 miles per tank free way driving mine everyday. Which was pretty damn good in my book for a 79.

Edit*

I ran premium and was driving about 45 miles round trip 5 days a week plus around town stuff.

Edited by Kevint143
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi all! so i've changed my mind on the brat AGAIN. im still keeping it, but its staying subaru. im going to get the front end all fixed up and everything into driving order and use it as a daily driver. before you ask, im KEEPING the chevy, but thinking about the little brat sitting abandoned makes me sad. no more plans for a straight axled brat from me, just a little around town driver! ive got another project to make into an off-road trailer queen. 1988 Ranger, going to put dana 60s under it (at least), swap a 352W into it (already have that), you know etc. etc. but i thought you guys might be happy to hear that the brat is going to stay as is and get used :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...