Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A few questions on a 91 loyale

So i recently found out that I have a leak on my head gasket. It will blow white smoke when cold and a little when accelerating hard, other than that it doesn't do it. This is a recent development within the last month. I took it to the mechanic and he did a pressure test to confirm that is the problem. Although I have no overheating problem (the temp gauge stays about 1/4 the way up never seems to get much hotter than that) the car does eat up a little coolant. 

Now here is where it gets a little odd. I drove her for about 30 miles mostly highway and when I got home and parked while unloading the back end I noticed an almost pumpkin like smell coming off the back end. This is the first time I have smelled this particular smell and it didn't seem like it was coming anywhere from the front end just the back. I could smell it in the cargo area as well. Anyone else have this problem or know why it's smelling like this.

Also I really want to do a swap from the EA 82 to EJ 22, I would love to know the best way to go about this and how much the engine itself would cost me. I do have a mechanic that can install it, but I would also like to know about how much you guys think it would run me. 

Thanks so much for reading and your input!

1. check you intake gaskets, as they can introduce coolant into the cylinders.

2.how much an ej22 costs will depend if you accumulate parts separately, or part off a whole donor car. a whole car(for the harness and all the little components) may be cheaper, then you need the bell housing.  IF you can do it yourself, it can be cheap. If you are hiring the work for all the engineering and retrofitting, it would be cheaper to just go buy a legacy.

I can't imagine what this pumpkin smell is unless you are smelling coolant out of the exhaust pipe (sweet smelling)

^^^ this requires a special socket, or you can modify a 19mm socket to make it shallow enough to get behind the cam to torque the bolts. You would have to remove the valve cover. Without a special or modified socket, you would have to remove the timing belts and cam towers, but this is a good chance to reseal the cam and the cam tower o-ring.

And as scoobiedoobie would tell you, use a little bit of sealant on the oil ports below the cams on the tower where they meet the head.

^^^ this requires a special socket, or you can modify a 19mm socket to make it shallow enough to get behind the cam to torque the bolts. You would have to remove the valve cover. Without a special or modified socket, you would have to remove the timing belts and cam towers, but this is a good chance to reseal the cam and the cam tower o-ring.

And as scoobiedoobie would tell you, use a little bit of sealant on the oil ports below the cams on the tower where they meet the head.

Thanks for the reply but...

can you explain that last part like I am 5? I am really new to this car and working on cars in general, I even made the mistake of taking her to the dealshopt to have work done on her when I first got her.

1. check you intake gaskets, as they can introduce coolant into the cylinders.

2.how much an ej22 costs will depend if you accumulate parts separately, or part off a whole donor car. a whole car(for the harness and all the little components) may be cheaper, then you need the bell housing.  IF you can do it yourself, it can be cheap. If you are hiring the work for all the engineering and retrofitting, it would be cheaper to just go buy a legacy.

I can't imagine what this pumpkin smell is unless you are smelling coolant out of the exhaust pipe (sweet smelling)

I think it was the coolant, it just freaked me out cause it smelled a little different. And I am partial to this car, I've lifted it and she is my first stick so I really want to keep her and drop the ej22 into her for that extra power. I was planning on purchasing the swap kit from SJR unless you know would know of someone who has the same parts for cheaper.

Must have have run over one of the pumpkin patch kids while wheelin' in the pumpkin patch.    Next time be sure to do some donuts in a pine forrest before bringing your car home.........or drive through a field of lialacks for that fresh car smell. 

SJR is the popular choice for a bellhousing adapter and is probably the only manufacturer of them. Otherwise if you engineered one yourself, it will have to be 10mm thick, with the inside tracing the inside of the ea82 bellhousing and the outside tracing the outside of the ej22 bellhousing. between the ej/ea, the pilot shaft and the bottom bellhousing studs line up, and the adapter will have to make up the offset of the dowel pins and the top bolts. The sjr uses a stud that threads into the belhousing to the engine, and the trans bolts into the adapter plate. You will use an ea82 flywheel(your existing), but you have to drill out the holes to match the bolt pattern on the ej22 crank. SJR may offer a modified flywheel if you send in yours as a core. Supposedly the flywheel fits ina flat rate mailing box.

From what i mentioned about the cam towers, if you look at the engine, you will see a seam whre the outer part of the head(the cam tower) bolts onto the head itself. You will see a few 12mm bolts around the outside just outside of the valve cover. On the bottom of this cam tower, there is an o-ring that seals the oil passage from the head to the cam tower which supplies oil to the cam.

this video illustrates the cam towers: