Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My NEW gen.... 2004 FXT..... ;-)

obk25xt

Been looking at these for a WHILE and really never thought I'd get my hands on one... I guess I'll start a thread, because I'm sure over time this thing WILL get meddled with haha.... I'm no noob to soobs OR building cars. Heres a link to my Loyale build thread for an idea of how I like 'em. FINALLY!! found the one I've been looking for. - Members Rides - Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For starters. Its a 2004, 5mt, 129,000 miles, bought it at a dealership in Bellevue WA for $7000. They had it advertised for $8900, I called on it cuz I've been looking for one and have been more serious lately. The salesman took my info and I scheduled a time to go look at it. He called me shortly after, said it went thru their shop, and that they couldn't sell it because it didn't pass the mechanical inspection. He said it had a weak clutch, leaky turbo, and smelled like burning oil. I said I didn't care and was still interested. After a lil haggling we settled on the price and I drove it home a few days later. Turns out the car is already on stock WRX springs/struts and has an STI catback.

I put a new Exedy clutch kit, an ACT streetlight FW (bought off a forum for $100 shipped), new front rotors, a full Gates timing kit, new NGK spark plugs, an OEM 06 STI up-pipe, a de-catted 3" SS down pipe (CL score for $25!), and replaced the pass side valve cover seal (the "leaky turbo" haha). I also put 06 STI springs on the front struts which brought the front down a lil more to cure the saggy-butt and give it the rake I like.

Throwing a dart I think I'm into it a total of around $8400 which includes tax/license and all the parts I bought, I installed them myself cuz I'm good like that.....

I intend to address the handling more than anything else, remove x-member spacers, RSB, lateral links, strut tower bars and possibly STI control arms. I'd like to put a VF series turbo, injectors, and a larger top mount too at some point, but for a while it will just be the exhaust and a tune.

Heres a pic

IMG_3842_zps99d9669e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good!

Next mod needs to be painting or plasti-dipping that C-pillar black. That was one of the first things I did to mine and it helps to give a continuous look along the length of the vehicle.

That random gray chunk just looks out of place.

The c-pillar matches the mirrors, and the rear gate garnish, I'm gonna leave it as it is.... Soon it will match the wheels....

Edited by obk25xt

So I've done some things.....

Now its got:

Stop sign skid plate!

17x8 wheels with 225/50 tires

STI front springs on WRX struts

STI rear springs/struts

STI 20mm rear sway bar, whiteline bushings, and home made LLWS and heim endlinks

STI catback exhaust (what I thought WAS on it, now IS on it)

And a fresh alignment

PICS...... 

IMG_3853_zpsc0419a1a.jpg

IMG_3982_zpsdc8388db.jpg

IMG_3979_zps247814e2.jpg

IMG_4011_zps94544c8a.jpg

The c-pillar matches the mirrors, and the rear gate garnish, I'm gonna leave it as it is.... Soon it will match the wheels....

I guess I forgot that I color matched my mirrors and that they used to be that gray color.

I like your Stop sign plate. I used a "Slow Children Playing" sign for the same. Before I installed it though, a friend make a great suggestion to put it reflective side up. Now when I put a light into my engine bay, the highly reflective surface adds nice illumination. The downside to doing it that way is you lose "the look" of the sign under there.

• 1 month later...
OK so lets recap……

Bought the car @ 130,000 miles….

Now has 133,000 miles…..

Things I've done….

ACT Streetlight FW

New Exedy clutch

New valve cover seal

New NGK spark plugs

New Gates T-belt kit

New rotors

New radiator

DIY stop sign skid plate

17x8 ROTA's

New Yokohama's 225/50/17

STI rear sway bar/mounts and DIY LLWS

STI up pipe

STI catback

COBB catted DP 

Accessport

Group N trans mount….

And now…..

New PCV

VF39

STI TMIC

Grimmspeed AOS

This thing is coming along NICELY!!

Parts I HAVE and yet to install:

New oil cooler O-ring

WRX trans mount

Kartboy trans mount bushings

WRX pitchstop

WRX 5mt linkage

WRX driveline

WRX steering joint

Group N engine mounts

Wish list:

Short shifter/bushings

WRX rear subframe

STI lateral links

STI aluminum control arms

STI steering rack

Pics of VF39 install

IMG_4254_zpsb05bd780.jpg

IMG_4256_zps8eb106f3.jpg

IMG_4258_zpsb570e001.jpg

IMG_4257_zps71339a8e.jpg

IMG_4289_zps592a6184.jpg

Edited by obk25xt
  • Like 1

The VF39 definitely wakes these up. Man I miss mine.

Yeah like WOW!! Just running the COBB OTS map for it, which claims 285hp/323tq @ the wheels…. I wanna get a pro tune… 300 whp just seems like a good # lol…...

As-is it breaks traction in 2nd…. Def badass…...

Yeah like WOW!! Just running the COBB OTS map for it, which claims 285hp/323tq @ the wheels…. I wanna get a pro tune… 300 whp just seems like a good # lol…...

As-is it breaks traction in 2nd…. Def badass…...

I know, it's fun as hell. Any plans for a 6 speed swap? I loved that in mine as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Got tuned today! I guess I'm satisfied I dunno?! 284whp 309 wtq, @ 17lbs. Was HOPING for 300whp, but I am def not upset…… With injectors, TGV deletes, and a turbo inlet I think 300 is doable…. By summer…… 

Blah blah blah pics….. Looks good?

IMG_4497_zps77412384.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Update…

Yesterday I removed the spacers from the engine crossmember, along with swapping the trans crossmember, driveline, pitch stopper, shift linkage and steering knuckle all from a WRX. The shift linkage I got was actually the SPT short shifter assembly, score! I also installed Prothane shifter bushings and Kartboy trans mount bushings. I am still using the stock splitter, I removed the rubber from it and trimmed about 3/8" from the front-most part of the duct so it doesn't interfere with the TMIC. 

First impressions:

Shifter/bushings is a HUGE improvement, super stoked about that. Ground clearance is also a huge bonus, everything is tucked much better now.

Handles much flatter if that makes sense, feels more responsive, and doesn't lift/dive like it did before. It still does a little bit, but it's reduced and is noticeable. Overall the difference is subtle, but definitely an improvement.

Next on the list is the rear subframe and lockdown bolts. I need to gather a few more parts before I jump into that still though. I'm thinking about doing the diff hanger too and doing all the bushings while I'm in there too. I already have the rear diff hanger bushings may as well do the outrigger bushings too, which means the diff support etc. And I'm seriously contemplating getting some STI lateral links…. We'll see….

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Ok so I'm ALMOST done hahaha.... Really tho..... 

FEAL struts came in, and I paired them up with some JDM STI pinks. The ride is awesome. I think the car finally can out-handle my swapped loyale. I have an appt to get aligned on wed, and then I'm really not gonna mess with stuff for a while. I have some home made 3/8" spacers in the rear right now, but I'm gonna swap them out for some 1/2" spacers this week. It sits flat/level, but I would rather be prepped for hauling stuff. The lil extra fender clearance will make a difference. The ride with this setup is stiff but not harsh. I'm stoked......

So almost exactly a year later and here's the current parts list unless I forget something. 

Power:

I did all the maintenance/repair needed from purchase, valve cover seal, full timing kit, new radiator, new PCV, spark plugs, and a new exedy clutch kit. 

ACT streetlight FW

STI up-pipe

VF39

STI TMIC

GS AOS

GS EBCS

Walbro 255

K&N panel filter

COBB catted downpipe and AVO 3" catback

Tuned by PRE @ 17lbs, 284whp/309wtq

Handling:

Removed subframe spacers

WRX rear crossmember

WRX driveline

WRX SPT short shifter assembly

Prothane shifter bushings

Group-N trans mount

Kartboy subframe lockdown bolts

STI spec-c control arms and lateral links

TIC rear diff bushings

Whiteline 24mm sways/bushings F/R

Kartboy endlinks F/R

FEAL revalved 5x100 STI struts

JDM STI pink springs

Brembos F/R 

Goodrich SS brake lines

DBA 4000 rotors F/R

Hawk HPS pads

Rota G-Force 18x9 +35

Continental Control Contact 245/40/18

Others:

Stop sign skid plate

SG9 stereo with aux input

02-03 STI CF hoodscoop

02-03 STI splitter

Perrin shift knob

Perrin front plate delete

De-pinstriped

Yellow laminex fogs

RA UR mudflaps

^^^^^^ I'd say thats not a bad list for one year, doing all the work myself, and living a "life" also haha…

And for some pics, don't mind the filth, it is after all a SUV!!!!

20FDBC59-8AAF-4358-815F-1C3414AECFA0_zps

4EA5CA90-AA0F-406F-8C3B-865370A01BA5_zps

490E17CC-B9D6-4114-ADDC-516FA7E2C866_zps

IMG_6072_zpsb5f09467.jpg

F7AD5E91-3095-48D8-A9CF-1E26A7B1BFEF_zps

7233103E-D193-47C9-A077-95623E10BBC7_zps

89975882-93CC-4500-9FA9-54DB2CD18A2E_zps

3EF68916-7C02-4B6F-A18D-EE26129FE369_zps

7221DBA4-B946-49CB-B5F8-80B9963DD2EB_zps

Edited by obk25xt

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice ride Spencer! You should come down to a PNW Subaru Enthusiasts meet sometime! I sport my rex at several meets throughout the week. Sundays is a huge meet in Portland.

Kickass to see you sportin those numbers! I gotta do injectors, FP and EWG to get my turbo over 12psi.. :(

And then transmission.

Congrats on the purchase!