Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, I just got a 1995 Legacy. I had to take this poor car away from my parents, I just could not see her sit around and be a pile of junk as my parents tend to do with cars with minor problems. I fixed the wheel bearing last night. Now I am working on the transmission. It does not currently go into reverse, It is an automatic transmission. First, anyone else come by this problem. and second, does anyone know a good online dealer, or dealer in general of transmissions, I would like to not spend over 1000 on a transmission for it. Thats if it is not fixable for about the same price.

just so happens I picked up a 95 Legacy recently with the exact same problem - no reverse. I found a used, low mileage (30,500 miles) tranny from a junkyard for $500 by searching car-part.com, and the car goes into the shop next week for installation (I just dont have time to do it myself with my work & school schedules)...

Posted by johnceggleston in my thread about my 95...( http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/140226-new-addition-with-some-issues/page-3 )

plug and play auto trans for the 95 lego, all of them.

95 - 98 legacy L, brighton, LS - all ej22 cars

93 - 98 impreza all ej22 or ej18 cars  - L, LX, LS, LE, L+

and 90 - 91 legacy non turbo

the auto trans from an ej25 car 96 - 98 will work,

BUT ONLY if you use the matching rear diff.

the auto trans from a 92 - 94 lego will work,

BUT ONLY if you use the matching rear diff.

imprezas may be cheaper so be sure to look there.

on car-part.com, you will have to search each year and model separately.

this means your browser will have lots of tabs open.

That should help you with your searching.

i can't imagine what the cost would be for the shipping

parts yards usually charge $150, some a little more ans some a little less.

but they have shipping accounts with the trucking company.

walk-ins with no account will charge more, maybe $250.

if you know some you who has an account you can save some money.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/79130-how-to-seat-your-torque-converter-by-mnwolftrack/?hl=%20seating%20%20torque%20%20converter

There's the thread for seating the converter. I had a post in there from the swap I did on my wife's car a couple years ago. It was the first time I'd swapped an automatic trans and the instructions got me right through. Check, double check and re-check. And just be sure it stays seated as you install. Not as bad as it sounds, just an easy thing to miss with some dire consequences.

Pick N Pull and similar yards are fantastic to keep cheap older cars on the road. I think a trans is around $100. these days.

Follow up with any questions. You can pm me if you get stuck somewhere.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/79130-how-to-seat-your-torque-converter-by-mnwolftrack/?hl=%20seating%20%20torque%20%20converter

There's the thread for seating the converter. I had a post in there from the swap I did on my wife's car a couple years ago. It was the first time I'd swapped an automatic trans and the instructions got me right through. Check, double check and re-check. And just be sure it stays seated as you install. Not as bad as it sounds, just an easy thing to miss with some dire consequences.

Pick N Pull and similar yards are fantastic to keep cheap older cars on the road. I think a trans is around $100. these days.

Follow up with any questions. You can pm me if you get stuck somewhere.

umm - maybe $100 times 3 to 5...I just paid $500 for a low miles (30,500) tranny "near" me - if you can count over 3 hours away as "near"...plus the costs to go get it and a $50 core fee for not bringing the bad one in...

average going price around here is $350-400 with at least 150,000 miles on them, if not more. :( there was one yard had one with over 200,000 miles on it and they wanted $450 for it!

umm - maybe $100 times 3 to 5...I just paid $500 for a low miles (30,500) tranny "near" me - if you can count over 3 hours away as "near"...plus the costs to go get it and a $50 core fee for not bringing the bad one in...

average going price around here is $350-400 with at least 150,000 miles on them, if not more. :( there was one yard had one with over 200,000 miles on it and they wanted $450 for it!

As far as average replacement costs, you're right on. I was speaking specifically of Pick N Pull and similar yards. Pick N Pulls are commonplace on the west coast and charge $99.99 with a $29.99 Core charge for any transmission.

http://www.picknpull.com/part_pricing.aspx?LocationID=59&Language=English&NavItem=12&SearchCriteria=partpricing

But yeah, back in the midwest, this is a much less likely option.

As far as average replacement costs, you're right on. I was speaking specifically of Pick N Pull and similar yards. Pick N Pulls are commonplace on the west coast and charge $99.99 with a $29.99 Core charge for any transmission.

http://www.picknpull.com/part_pricing.aspx?LocationID=59&Language=English&NavItem=12&SearchCriteria=partpricing

But yeah, back in the midwest, this is a much less likely option.

Yeah - We can only dream of prices like those...no such thing as a "pick-n-pull" around here anymore.

They have all either closed shop, or gone the other route - they do the picking & pulling & charge for the labor for doing so....