Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Plastic Oil Passage Washer between head and cam case

I'm new to the forum and new to subaru's. I just got a 1988 GL Wagon from a buddy a month or so ago after trying to get it from him for at least a year. Its got some mechanical issues that I'm trying to sort out. The biggest is major oil leaks and the timing belt was way overdue. It has been driven regularly over the years but not alot. It has 120k.  I pulled the engine and changed all of the gaskets, oil pump seals/springs, water pump, timing belt, etc. I have been reading on here about common issues and tried to address what I could with the engine being apart.

It ran good after I put it back in and after about 20 miles the passenger side started ticking badly. Before I changed out the oil pump seals it had almost no oil pressure at idle but it didn't tick at all before. I figured with it having significantly better oil pressure and no TOD before something was wrong. I traced it down to a piece of rtv that got stuck in the oil passage. I think I used a little too much rtv and on that side I smeared it when I was placing the cam case on.

One of the plastic washers that goes between the cam case and the head was a little distorted and after I disassembled the second time it was broken. In the exploded view on the manual this part is not shown in the list of parts. Can anyone help me with a part number so I can order this from the dealer. I only have chapters 2,3,4,5 from the factory manual. The dealer I've been using has a hard time finding part numbers from the exploded diagram so I thought I would ask here first. The part i'm referring to is pointed to in the pic. I really wanted to put the engine back in this weekend but I guess I'll have to wait on this washer.

The car is single point fuel injection and is naturally aspirated, single range auto, 4wd if that helps.

post-49915-0-19829200-1381548830_thumb.jpg

Edited by stratman977

Wow I was really confused and didn't even know it. I definitely didn't think that was the o ring that everyone was referring to in the cam tower. Mine really looked like a hard plastic washer and not an o ring. Makes alot more sense now.

I'm kinda glad I had the issue with the rtv happened cause I would have been driving it with the bad o ring in it and not even know what the problem was. Ordered these today at the dealership and should be in Wednesday.

Thanks!

I have some anaerobic sealant. Is the best way to just add a little and spread it around with your finger or do you just add a tiny bead to the outside edge and let it smoosh out. I think this is a good idea but I'm usually sloppy with anything that comes out of a tube so I need to be careful I guess.