Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new clutch problem

A new cable does wonders

Did you check or replace the carrier for the the release bearing ? I got better results with a new one as the fork material is harder than the cast iron and the wear points get deep divots or gouges in the cast iron. A new one is actually machined flat - no guide divots at all :)

Sometimes others have adjusted the ball pivot the fork sits on off the inside bellhousing. I don't think it is possible to fit friction plate wrong way around in Subies ? the Flywheel bolt heads hit the plate ??

Oh, it may be possible someone swapped in a different flywheel and clutch before so the listing even though is correct for the car, maybe not for the  flywheel in use ?

EA81 and EA82 flywheels have a 2mm difference in the step , and also the cover plate. I have mistakenly mixed up and used a cover plate with the 23mm step where I needed the 21mm step - could just change gears - was awful and silly mistake - giving me reason to time the engine out and on the floor - 45 minutes - in order to fix the problem by swapping in correct cover plate.

Another question is if you got the fly machined, was it machined to correct step for the clutch fitted ?

The easiset thing to check for is possibly chance the pedal box is flexing - the cable side flexes when things go wrong like the pedal cable bracket spot welds breaking through the thin wall of the pedal box.

Adjutment of stay rod changed at all ? This normally affects disengage when driving..can you even drive it yet or just not even disengage to get gear or neutral to start driving ?

Edited by jono