Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recently was driving from VA to MN in my 92 Legacy L w/ auto trans & pulled off highway to get gas. When I got to stop sign had rough idle & almost no acceleration. Finally checked codes after double checking oil & trans fluid were all good. I pulled a 31, 32 & 35. Had no choice but to drive the other 700 or so miles with the car like it was. Got the O2 sensor replaced with a new one & replaced the purge valve with 1 from the junk yard. While I worked on car had battery disconnected. Started car up still slightly rough idle better but not right acceleration & check engine light still on. Checked codes again & got 24 & still 35. Have ordered another purge valve with 30 day warranty. Am I in any hopes of this & cleaning the Idle Air Valve going to fix my problem as I need to take family back to VA & not comfortable trying to baby it 1100+ miles with kids in the car. Found article saying I could clean air valve with sea foam after getting it warm enough for radiator fan to turn on & slowly pouring the sea foam thru the air valve & it said to expect a LOT of white smoke. Ideas suggestions please

The biggest problem you have is the purge valve control module.  That malfunction will just kill your performance.  You have one on order and I think that will fix a lot of your troubles.  You can go and get the sea foam throttle body cleaner and follow the instructions for use.  It is a lot easier than using the liquid and trying to pour it down any opening.  You may have a bad throttle position sensor, but I think when you replace the purge valve control you will se the car run much better.  Good luck on your trip back home.

• Like 1

Thanks but TPS code went away after replacing O2 sensor. Had forgotten that for awhile when its cool to cold out it was very hard to almost impossible to start without killing the battery. Codes showing right now are 25 Air Control Valve & 35 canister Purge Valve. Replacing purge valve tomorrow. Hoping to be able to head back to VA tomorrow.

Alright got purge sensor replaced. Had the battery disconnected over night to make sure the codes were cleared. So the car wasn't started in over 24 hrs & the temps over night got down to upper 30's & day time got to 54. Trying to start the car it just wanted to crank without trying to fire. This has happened b4 when car hasn't been started & the temps are cool & especially if rainy or has snowed. The only way to get it to start is to keep the key turned & pump the day lights out of the gas. Most times the battery will die & I have to place charger on the battery & continue until it finally starts & when it does obviously I have smoke & it runs rough for about a minute until it clears out. This again happened today. So I drove the car to get it warm & test to see if car was fixed & cleaned the air control valve. Still no power & slight rough idle. Under acceleration has mini backfires. Checked for codes but there are none. Now have timing belt & pulley kit on order should have tomorrow. Advice on how to make easier going back together.