Ultimate Subaru Message Board

checking sensors &/or not filling the gas tank?

Last night I plugged those little green connectors, under the dash, together... heard lots of clicks as solenoids activated & deactivated... I've been throwing a CEL so I went back to the "recycling yard" for a egr solenoid... (plus a nice MAF). I had nearly a full tank of gas when I started (I asked to "fill it" & had only 21 miles on the trip meter when I left this morning)... on the way to the yard, I watched my gas guage drop... like 50% of normal mileage...

so, my question is: Does cycling the solenoids reset the computer? Leaving it to re discover the way the engine runs.

OR

did I just not get a full tank of gas? (so gas mileage only *appears* to be off)

ALSO: no more CEL 60+ miles after resetting... so I don't think I'm going to be changing anything... "if it ain't broke..."

any wisdom from the realm?

cycling the solenoids should have no actual effect on the ECU.

The green connectors are test connectors - plugging them in allows one to check the function of the various solenoids, the engine fans, fuel pump, etc.

They should not be left connected, however.

leaving them connected could potentially be the source of your fuel issue - not saying it definitely is, but it could be because they do cycle the fuel pump on and off...

Edited by heartless

There are two fuel level senders in the tank, a left side one on it's own and the right side one which is part of the fuel pump assembly. The gauge averages the readings of the two senders, so if one stops working, the gauge will never read above 1/2 even with a full tank. There are access covers in the floor right behind the back seat to get at the senders. Check for broken wires at the senders first, then check them with an ohm meter.

Hey Woods, I just replaced one sender on the pass side of my 1995 Legacy. My old sender was reading 50 one way and 32 the other way. My gage went from maxing out at 7/8's to stopping right at the full mark, but not hitting the peg above it. Should I replace the other sender too? ( I bought a new genuine Subaru Sender for the passenger side) Jared