Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stripped exhaust studs

Hey guys hows it going!

I've been having problems with my wheeler wagon losing exhaust studs. I need to know how to get them to stick in there. i was thinking about using something like high temp JB weld or something similar, but i dont think it is rated hot enough for exhaust studs.

What is going on, is that whomever had this engine before me heli-coiled all of the exhuast stud holes. It is a JDM dual carb EA-81s engine so i believe you have to drill new exhaust holes anyway, because JDM manifolds are 180 degrees off than 'Merican manifolds. 

I have a spare motor if it comes to that but i would rather use my fancy engine over a stock one.

HELP!

The helicoils pulled out of the holes, was what i meant, sorry. So i have larger than normal holes i need to make a stud stay in. Also, the original studs are all gone, and every hole seems to be a different thread for some reason.

Edited by Markus56

The other problem is that i cannot drill the holes bigger. The walls are already too thin. if i went bigger i would breach the wall of the hole with one right next to it that was drilled by a guy who didn't measure twice. At this point i am looking to use a hardware store grade 8 stud epoxied in place i just cant find an epoxy that has a high enough heat rating,

A more permanent, if more involved, solution is to have a machinist fill-weld the current holes and retap them.

Bingo.

If the heli-coils have pulled out already, then going to something bigger wouldn't be the best idea. Have the metal replaced then drill and tap. Best way to go. Do you still have the bracket welded after the converter that anchors to the transmission?

These are dual carb heads. you will NEVER find them anywhere. not to sound like a jerk, but I really cant replace them.

This guy will have them.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/4094892510.html

And if he doesn't have them, then these guys will:

Mountain Tech Subaru

Oregon City, OR

503-650-3686

http://www.mttechsuba.com/

Edited by scoobiedubie

yes.Unless dual carb heads are different, Ea81's have 4 holes around the exhaust for various markets.Two of them are normally unused.So just rotate the flanges and use the other holes..

Dual carb heads only have two holes/studs for the exhaust header, not four.

How about change out both the cylinder heads and the intake manifold, with the American set?

Dual carb head are only work with a dual carb block, as the valves are backwards, and because of that, it uses a different camshaft. Also there are no reputable machine shops within 250 miles of where i live that i know of. I really think that some sort of epoxy is my best bet at this point, I am just not sure.

Also, to have the holes filled back in, i would have to remove the heads, right?

Hey guys hows it going!

I've been having problems with my wheeler wagon losing exhaust studs. I need to know how to get them to stick in there. i was thinking about using something like high temp JB weld or something similar, but i dont think it is rated hot enough for exhaust studs.

What is going on, is that whomever had this engine before me heli-coiled all of the exhuast stud holes. It is a JDM dual carb EA-81s engine so i believe you have to drill new exhaust holes anyway, because JDM manifolds are 180 degrees off than 'Merican manifolds. 

I have a spare motor if it comes to that but i would rather use my fancy engine over a stock one.

HELP!

Since there are 4 holes on the head ..I went to a muffler shop and had them cut and twist the flanges to mate with the other 2 holes..the cuts were welded back up with a new center piece covering the entire part that was cut..double up with the gaskets and some high temp silicone between them....has lasted for many years now...use studs and nuts...

Since there are 4 holes on the head ..I went to a muffler shop and had them cut and twist the flanges to mate with the other 2 holes..the cuts were welded back up with a new center piece covering the entire part that was cut..double up with the gaskets and some high temp silicone between them....has lasted for many years now...use studs and nuts...

There are only 2 holes in a dual carb head not 4...

ExhaustPorts.jpg