Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What would you do? (EA82 Intake Gaskets)

As reference: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/141449-tridents-1986-gl-4wd-wagon/

I've pulled my engine for supposed head gaskets problems but in light of what I found in the attached picture I have to ask here. Going by what I've read/seen, that looks to be a halfassed repair job on the intake. Would you replace the intake gaskets and call it good? Maybe even replace them and run the engine out of the vehicle to check. I'd like to save myself the extra work of head gaskets if possible, but thought I'd ask you all. Thanks!

post-49742-0-09285500-1381851617_thumb.jpg

Well, the intake manifold has to be removed in order to remove the heads. So, I would start by pulling the intake and inspecting the gasket and sealing surfaces too.

Bad intake manifold gaskets would only result in burning coolant. not a mix of oil and coolant.

hi,  the majority of folks here recommend the fel pro perma torque head gaskets on ea82 motors rather than the oem, about the same money basically..   that is my 2cent,  however the oem intake gaskets seem to have more width around the ports  than aftermarket ones, at least for the mpfi ones ,  spfi is not as critical.  if you do the head gaskets,  don't forget to get the little  oem gaskets for between the cam cases and heads, looks like an o ring , but is actually a rubber coated disc so it cant collapse and partially block the oil passage like an o ring will do.

Edited by ruparts

Yessir, I've got OEM cam tower o-rings and intake gaskets that should be arriving tomorrow and FelPro head gaskets that'll be here in the next few days as well. This is the first engine I've ever pulled so I've read, studied & read some more on recommendations, etc :) Thanks for the pointers!

Will do Josh

sidenote: Just snapped an intake bolt. I'm getting the full experience now!

Too late as i was going to warn you about this. turn them slowly with even torqe as not to twist the bolt faster than it can unscrew. Do not bounce on the tool. Now that you know what it takes to snap a bolt, you won't do it again. Been there, done that.

It ended up snapping right where the threads start (I think that's exactly where you mentioned on your intake vid Miles!) Now I've got 2 others on the opposite side that have come 1/2 way out but no further. They spin pretty much freely and sort of raise up & down a minute amount when rotating. That side will raise up and once I get the EGR disconnected I think the intake will come off b/c of how far down the sheared bolt is broken.