Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Solid bushing rear control arms 95' AWD

Bushwick

Looking at my 4 control/trailing arms the bushings have seen better days. Considering how stupid expensive replacement bushings are (not to mention the PITA it looks like it'll be to press out old ones and press new in) I was thinking of welding a washer to each end, essentially locking the center to stop it from moving and bypassing the need for rubber which has to cause some unwanted flex anyways. The outer rubber ring is completely rotted off all 4 bushings (both sides) so a large washer could easily slide over the center and sit snug against the the arm, then tack it to the outer edges. Pull-A-Part had a nice set of 4 that came off the donor for my rear cross member that were actual recent replacements, but $20 EACH seemed a little excessive for a straight bar with bushings- the entire cross member with (new) bolts was only $18 so I'm looking for "free" alternatives.

Anyone else try this? Or anyone running some sort of solid bushing (or adjustable end link) in after market arms? Any issues or noise? Any problems you can think of I might run into? 

I can salvage the lateral links from my junk car if you need them. Call it now before i cut the car in half and haul it away tomorrow. The bushings are in great shape, not oil soaked. ,and let me know if you need the taco arms. I wanted to save them anyway, but only if i had an outlet for them or antoher car to use them on.

Edited by MilesFox

I'm just referring to the 4 lateral bars (2 per side) that run from the strut to the cross member. Not sure what the taco arm is? Is that the link from the lateral bar to the sway bar end? Mine are actually OK. Don't need bolts or anything else as the donor's appear to be brand new minus a year or so. 

How much for the 4 lateral bars shipped to 44224? I'll check back once more tonight in a couple hours then won't check back until 10-11 am Weds  ;)

Edited by Bushwick

Miles, you forget to check back? If you can get a quote in the next few hours I'll wait, otherwise I'm going to modify mine (car is in parts in driveway). They should be able to fit in a "Large Flat Rate Box" from USPS (24"L X 12"H X 3"W is the rough measurement I have of one sitting in front me). I'll hold off messing with the arms a little while longer. Thanks Miles.

Edited by Bushwick