Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual Hitachi Carbs to Single Weber Carb = 1980 EA71 GFT-5 Coupé

Greetings,

This time I am trying to do my Best to help a Friend, Mr. Mariano, who owns a 1980 Subaru GFT-5 Coupé, which came factory with an EA71 engine that features Twin Hitachi carburator setup.

Here is a Photo of his Subie: 

Marianos.jpg

Here's a Photo of that Subie's Engine Bay:

Marianosengine.jpg

Photos of the Actual factory intake manifold:

OverComplicatedTwinCarbintake.jpg

Marianosintake.jpg

He is in the middle of the Restoration process of that Subaru, and he really wants to get rid of those hitachi craps that seems like now they're bad beyond any repair, he dreams about to obtain a single carb intake manifold that fits his Subie's engine and fit there a Weber Carb.

He already obtained a 32/36 Weber and the Trans-Dapt 2107 adaptor, also he obtained a Single carb intake that was sold to him as "For the Subaru 1600" which is the EA71, but the intake was longer, so we believe it was for the EA81 ... and he already welded with aluminium the Trans-Dapt adaptor to that unuseful -for him- intake manifold, as you can see...

ManifulEA81.jpg

By seeing this Photos and seeing the Position of the Starter behind the engine, on a side, I want to Ask (To be sure):

► is that a Fat Case EA71, isn't it?

► Does the Twin Carb EA71's comes with Reversed Valves as the Twin Carbs EA81's does?

Here is a Photo of his Original Owner's Manual about the Valves (in Spanish):

ValvulasEA71.jpg

Words in spanish over the Valve's drawing means: "Exhaust Valves" while words in spanish under same drawing says "Intake Valves".  The main Question could be:

► Will a Single Carb EA71 intake manifold fit right to this engine, or not?

Due to the Lack of Spare parts, we were crossing Private Messages, planning to cut the Upper part of the EA81 intake, along the welded adaptor, and cut the upper part of the Twin Carb EA71 intake, and weld the EA81 part to the Twin carb EA71 one, without touching the Water passage... Sounds crazy enough, isn't it?

Please let us Know your Ideas about that, and the Answers to our Questions, which will be Greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

I realise there would be some mucking around with the water passage but you could try shortening it to suit the EA71. I have the reverse, a dual carb EA71 intake manifold that has been 'cut and shut' to lengthen it so it fits on an EA81. This would mean you are not destroying the EA71 manifold. You never know, the owner may want to rebuild the original carbs in the future. Certainly twin Hitachis with out perform one Weber!

On my manifold there was a small section cut out of the water passage so the fuel/intake passage could be welded up and then an new piece of alloy added to the water passage to seal it up. I am sure it would be easier when you are making it shorter!

And to junk250, it is not possible to mount two Webers side by side as they are be too wide for the manifold. Otherwise everyone would be doing it!

A shame you are so far away too, I have several EA63 manifolds (same dimensions as the EA71) you could use for modification!

Edited by Leeroy

Thank you for your Kind Replies.

That EA71 does not have the reversed valves ...

Second Question = Answered.  :D

... Any EA71 intake manifold will fit width wise ...

Third Question = Answered. :D

... Why not rebuild the Hitachi dual carbs?

Well, seems like they're Not in the Good Shape as you think they're (by seeing the old Photo) and in the Latin American Country where Mr. Mariano (The Owner) Lives (Argentina) is not easy to find carburator rebuild Kits of that vintage, and he is tired of importing those in pairs ... and you know how tricky a 33+ years old hitachi carb could be...

About this:

... A shame you are so far away too, I have several EA63 manifolds (same dimensions as the EA71) you could use for modification!

Maybe it isn't very expensive to send one to Argentina where that Subaru owner lives ... I'm searchin' for one of those intake manifolds here, in Honduras; but seems like People in my country doesn't want to sell the intake manifold alone, only the entire EA71 engine, which is scarce.

So, do you have an estimate on How much could cost that intake manifold plus shipping costs?  

You can tell him directly, because that Subaru Owner is a USMB member too, his screen name is mam147, I added a Link to his Subaru Thread on his underlined name at my First post of this thread.

Kind Regards.

Hi Guys!
 First off all, thanks so much for your comments and assistance on this trouble.
I don't know how the intake manifold from EA63 looks like, if you can provide a picture, I'd really appreciate it. On the other side before proceed to search and buy another intake manifold, need to confirm with some of you, the final lenght of it, i.e the factory intake manifold has 51,8 cm between cylinder heads where the manifold is connected to them.
Another point to consider on this, is that the EA71 cylinder heads are not in line, what I mean if you take a look to the following pictures, you can appreciate that the factory intake manifold has a little curve on the driver side.

The manifold that I bought from EA81 is straight, for this reason need to know if the EA63 intake manifold has the same format that the factory manifold.

CylinderHeadsEA71length_zpsbfd7e021.jpg

Manifoldcurve_zpsa6d0c573.jpg

Regards!

Mariano

• Like 1

Hi Mariano

Unfortunately the EA63 manifold my not be suitable, sorry to get your hopes up! The thermostat housing is in the middle of a EA63 intake manifold not to the side like the EA71:

DSCF04591_zpse5e82901.jpg

I am not sure this would suit the Weber. The EA63 has the same positioning of the intake manifold, however:

DSCF0462_zpsb6bead2b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks guys, for your kind will to Help Mr. Mariano. (USMB user: mam147)

He contacted me via Private Messages in Spanish since some time ago, asking for help with this project; (He is from Argentina) He could not find a Single Carb EA71 intake in Argentina, and I was searching for one of those Locally...

I Decided to Start this thread to Help Him, because I can not find a Used EA71 intake manifold alone; people in Honduras want to sell me the Whole Engine.

I don't know what he gonna do with the Dual Carb intake manifold, But he already wrote on this thread some posts above, I hope he'll get back here soon...

This is the Photo posted by Pooparu on my FaceBook:

EA71.jpg

I believe that at this point, He must contact you Directly ... maybe he could buy that intake manifold from you.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

• 2 months later...

Hello, Mr. Mariano! I have a stock intake manifold EA71, EA81, EA82 + HITACHI carburetor and gladly exchange my intake manifold on a dual + two carburetors from him.

http://kodar.ttk-chita.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=190:-subaru-ea-81&catid=34:trikes&Itemid=74

My trike: http://kodar.ttk-chita.ru/index.php?option=com_datsogallery&func=viewcategory&catid=41&Itemid=59

Edited by Kodar4

• 5 months later...