Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check out my new 82 GL 4x4 Wagon!

So last month I bought this cruiser & I've been driving it ever since! It's a 1982 GL wagon 4x4 & it has the 3rd Headlight option! And it even works! VERY little rust too. The more I looked it over the better it kept looking. Turns out everything works! I love the plaid seats & original brown & orange decals/pinstriping! Anyhow I put new tires/painted the wheels, new distributor cap/rotor, plugs/wires and now it runs great! 166k on the odometer. 

For right now I do have one question. I heard Subaru advised to not leave the rear suspension adjusted up for extended periods. Is this true? Also the nuts on the front struts where you can raise the car are really hard to break loose. Anyone have any experience with those items. Thanks in advance!

Here are some pics!

post-50024-0-26071200-1381965040_thumb.jpg

post-50024-0-44627200-1381965057_thumb.jpg

post-50024-0-67932700-1381965070_thumb.jpg

Nice!!!! It's the same color that my 1981 Wagon!

The front suspension adjuster nuts turns hard because there is a lot of dust there and maybe nobody turns them since long time ago.....just ad some WD40 and ready to go again. Use a 21 mm wrench for that work.

I have never any trouble using rear suspension rised up.

Please post some interior pics!

Martin

I heard Subaru advised to not leave the rear suspension adjusted up for extended periods. Is this true? Also the nuts on the front struts where you can raise the car are really hard to break loose. Anyone have any experience with those items. Thanks in advance!

Here are some pics!

I have never heard about Subaru recommending not to keep it adjusted all the way up, but it does put more stress on the torsion bars to keep them in the raised position, so it would weaken them over time in theory. I have never broken one and have left them adjusted up the majority of the time. Some people on this board have broken them, but I think most of them adjusted it by clocking the torsion bars beyond the stock adjustment., stressing them even more. I wouldn't think twice about leaving it adjusted all the way up.

The front adjusters get real dirty and rust really bad. soak them with penetrant for a long time and make sure you adjust them with the car in the air, not on the ground. same for the rear, take the weight off the suspension.

Nice score!