Ultimate Subaru Message Board

check engine light comes on and cruise control stops working

I have a 2005 Legacy Outback, 3.0 L Boxer 6. The cruise control won't operate becasue the CEL comes on and shuts it off. Dealer tells me code is P1844, which means a valve body in the transmission, and their estimate to replace it is $1400. My question is, is this a repair I should only trust to the dealer, or can any worthy repair shop handle it?

With an estimate of $1400, is that to replace the tranny? I would bolt in a used tranny for a lot less money. I like Texan's advise about doing 3 drains and refills of ATF with an additive to see if that fixes the problem.

However thinking about this................................I always thought that the cruise control system is vacuum operated, and not interactive with the transmission, but maybe that is not true with newer cars. However, if still simply vacuum operated, then I don't see how working on the tranny can fix the cruise control problem. If that is the case, then the CEL for the tranny is a separate problem.

• 1 month later...

It depends on what the CEL is on for. If it's kicking the cruise off, it's because the computer thinks the issue is bad enough to not be able to set it.

Looks like you can try a drain and fill on the transmission with a new filter (located in the wheel well in reforming of the driver front tire behind the fog light) but if that doesn't work, probably will need a new valve body or a transmission. Found this while searching the forums.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/p1844i-118383.html