Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loosing Coolant, Quickly, EJ22, '94

Hi, 

I have a 94 Legacy, EJ22, just did an engine swap about 6000 miles ago. 

Overheated two days ago because the coolant (didn't notice this prior, and have been checking fluids regularly) floods out of the passenger side of the radiator at a pretty quick pace. 

Should I just replace the radiator? Are there things that could be unplugged? Could it be something else? 

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm a newb. 

before i spent any money,

i would be SURE of where the leak is coming from.

it probably is the rad,

but be SURE before you buy.

track down the leak.

Yea, fill the radiator, run the car to operating temp, then look for leaks, especially if you see water dripping on your driveway. 

My last motor swap required a radiator replacement. It is really an easy job. Just unclip the front grill above the bumper, remove four bolts, two bolts on the side for the automatic tranny coolant if you have an auto trany, pull the top and bottom hose, then lift the radiator up and out. Easy to remove in about 10 minutes. Lots of inexpensive replacement radiators available on line. All are made in China. I have had no problem with my chinese radiator.

whilst rooting around in there you might as well replace the water pump bypass hose its much smaller than the other radiator hoses and is tucked up above the thermostat housing this small hose almost cost me a valve/head job but the 2.2 was resistant and I didn't get it to hot mine only leaked from a small crack made by the hose clamp holding it on.

changing radiator is easy on a Subaru.

Drain coolant

disconnect all hoses

disconnect, unbolt, & remove the fans

unbolt the brackets that hold radiator in place on top (2 bolts)

lift out the old radiator

Swap over flow bottle to new radiator

install is reverse...

when refilling...

Connect lower radiator hose, fill block with fresh 50/50 coolant - slowly - from upper rad hose - connect hose, remove the small plug at far right top of radiator and fill radiator - slowly.

Helps tremendously to have the nose of the car on ramps or jack stands while refilling.

Once radiator is full, reinstall the small pug on right side, install cap and fill overflow bottle to full mark.

Start car and let it get up to full operating temp - ie: fans turn on.

Shut car off and let it cool completely

Check overflow level, and add to full mark if needed.

Note: if overflow bottle is completely empty after intial warm up/cool down period, you need to repeat the warm up/cool down process until it stops pulling all of the coolant out of the overflow bottle...

Ok, so now I'm installing the new one after draining the coolant. I left the radiator fans attached to the engine which was easier for me, and now I'm putting the one I got from Oreillys in but it also has automatic transmission cooling lines which seem to be getting a bit in the way for me mounting the radiator. is this bad to use this type of radiator or is it just fine and i can plug them up with something. 

Thanks for all your help! 

if you have an MT GET AN MT RADIATOR!!!!!!! they did give you the auto version if its got small atf cooler line ports! part houses are usually way lax about that stuff unless you get on their rump roast and are very polite from the first word! hard combo!

I once got into it with pepboys because I called and asked if they stocked my break pads (93 1.8 impreza L front wheel drive) they said yes and that they would set them aside. I went down and gave them the same info again verified that the part I was buying was designated for my car, got home and found out they were way to big the 455 hat who looked it up was looking for an 03 impreza instead of a 93 impreza. I can't count how many times I said 93 to them,,,, to many

Ok, so put in the new radiator and have it filled with coolant. Turned it on, let it warm up, did so just fine without overheating it and then went to drive it and after about a mile it overheated. Turned it off, I'm not loosing coolant at all, the levels of that are fine, and so now I'm wondering if there's an additional problem, something I could have forgotten, or what....