Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 manual steering rack slack adjuster?

like the title says, where is it whats it look like? I converted to a manual rack in my lifted 87 gl-10 and there is about 3-4 degrees movement in the steering wheel, the tie rod ends are good, and were recently replaced. the rack mount bushings are also in good shape.

the rack itself looks like it was replaced fairly recently, I wiped it off and it looks almost new.

I'm sure theres something about it in my haynes or chilton but I haven't seen either book in quite sometime.

I did a search but I came up empty handed..

Thanks for the help, if it matters the rack is from an 85/86.

If someone has the info floating around( which I'm sure they do). I'll see about getting it added to the USRM.

Edited by AKghandi

To my knowledge, there is no pre-load adjustment on any rack unit, just regular steering boxes. I found nothing in my manual suggesting otherwise. 3-4 degrees is nothing to worry about. The manual racks are different internally than the power, so the free play is more noticeable.

its just irritating more than anything because everything else is tight and feels like new except the dang steering. I'm going to look into the linkage in a while and make sure I didn't mess anything up there.

I could have sworn i read there was a slack adjuster on these racks. i could be wrong though. I do frequent quite a few auto forums...

Front of the rack, right on the other side of were the steering shaft comes in. there is a large, thin, flat locknut (36mm, 40mm?) and in the center is a 14mm head bolt.

Loosen the lockring, tighen the 14mm bolt in the center, and then tighten locknut.

You may need to drop the rack down a bit to unlock the large nut.

Front of the rack, right on the other side of were the steering shaft comes in. there is a large, thin, flat locknut (36mm, 40mm?) and in the center is a 14mm head bolt.

Loosen the lockring, tighen the 14mm bolt in the center, and then tighten locknut.

You may need to drop the rack down a bit to unlock the large nut.

AHA! i saw that 14 mm but i did not see the 36 mm lock nut. makes sense thank you sir!