Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuse/Relay/Tail Lights/License Plate Lights problem...

I tried to post about this in a more appropriate section but it wouldn't let me start a new topic?

I got pulled over in my 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon for having no back lights. I've confirmed it's my parking lights, tail lights, and license plate lights that aren't functioning. I pulled open my relay/fuse box and swapped out the fuses but didn't have any luck resurrecting them. I went to read labels for the relays, but it was quite confusing. I've determined the top 4 are AC relays I assume are for Air Conditioning, and then two more on the side one for each headlight. The rest I couldn't decipher.

Can anyone tell me if this problem is even related to relays/fuses? What it could possibly be if not? Or if there's a fuse or relay I missed? I didn't have new ones as far as the relays go. I know sometimes a relay can function in some ways but not others.

I drive for a living and at night {I do papers} it would be very helpful to get input on this asap!

Thanks, everyone!

Does turning on the parking lamp swith on top of the steering column do anything?

There is a realy in the rear quarter panel just behin the passenger side wheel well. You will have to remove the liner to the 'smugglers trunk' pockets behind the wheel ewell to get at it. I am not sure if this sist he specific relay, but i discovered one there chopping down a wagon

I think the tail light relay is located in the dash fuse panel. When you use the switch on top of the column it bypasses that relay and applies power directly to the parking lights. Power passes through that switch even when it is OFF and goes to the relay circuit. The fact that the license plate light also isn't working makes me think there is a fuse problem causing the trouble. It is best to use a test light probe to verify power is getting through a fuse. Check the fuses located under the hood also.