Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So the idle on my car has become very irregular, at first it just sat at about 100rpm and I tried using the idle adjustments but they had no effect

And my should be right I just checked right before this started

Now though all of it sudden it idles at between 6-900 rpm just constantly going up and down up and down, if I give it a little throttle it smoothes out and sounds find but will try to die unless I back off very slowly.

One of my friends said to check out the idle air control valve but I can't find it, so anyone have suggestions?

The iac is the module on top of the thermostat housing with the large hose coming form it which goes under the '4wd turbo' plenum Try removing the hose and [lugging it by hand or pinching it down with a pair of nickels and a vise grip and see if this changes the idling

Had to resort to buying a new one last year:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1268513,parttype,6072

Pricey!

Hadn't found a good condition IAC at the PAPs in months & believe me I'd tried a few used ones. Had to meet emissions for Peoples Rebublic of California & mine wouldn't idle steady either.

edit: sorry, re-read your post. RX model.

Edited by czny

half inch ID heater hose does the immediate trick for the hose that carries air between the thermostat gadget and inlet manifold of an EA82 mpfi turbo inlet. I actually have mine blocked off with rubber water caps, just control fast idle by foot when cold.

This looks nothing like the part I have

Yeah, I realized that after posting.

There have been fewer & fewer GLs, no RXs since about 5 yrs ago down here at the local PAP.

I'll watch for a turbo when I go there if that helps.

Check this out:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/141509-new-junk-yard-found/

Edited by czny

Ya, I agree with naru. The aav is an open/close unit. Closed it will give you your lowest idle and this is the possition it in most of the time. It's only open when cold, and open it raises the idle. If your aav is malfunctioning, chances are you'll have low idle on cold starts ONLY, or a high idle once the car is warmed up.