Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1979 Subaru GL Wagon. my options?

Hello everyone, first off i would like to say this forum has helped me out so much with my gen 1. anyways the question i pose is :

i have a 79 gl wagon with 169,xxx miles runs amazingly well. the only problem i have is that i do a lot of freeway driving and the 4 speed isn't cutting it not to mention the front struts are shot. What are my options?

I do have a 1993 impreza with a ej18 along with a ej22 and a ej25. do i swap everything over? drive train, suspension, brakes and sell the shell?  can it be done? The impreza was bought with no title and i'm having trouble getting it. 

Your guys thoughts? 

post-29563-0-02211600-1382292288_thumb.jpg

Trying to fit legacy/impreza stuff to a gen 1 subaru will be a lot of work.  If it were me I would just keep youir gen 1 stock, and fix the struts.  Sort out the paperwork issues for the impreza, register it, and use it as a daily beater.  save the gen 1 car for weekend driving.  

• Like 1

all struts from 78-85 should bolt up if you can find them in a junk yard. you will  have to remove the break line mounts on gen 2 struts as they are mounted to the spindle with the fastening nut on the gen 1s. I have not looked for any struts for mine. but someone here may know where to get them. i had an 84 brat that i swiped them off of. they also have adjusting nuts on them for ride hight.

I upgraded to 1.8 and 4wd dual range.

as for my 4 speed problem i am eventually going to  find a 5 speed dual range as the bolt up with minimum modifications and i hear the differential needs to be swapped along with it so it will be a donor wagon that i will look for.

is your wagon 4wd or 2wd?

to get 5speed you will have to upgrade to at least an ea81 or go 2wd ea71 . i did my 78 brat and my 79 wagon which was 2wd 5spd. i like the dual range but do miss 5th gear. the 26'' a/t wheels help get better highway speed but  cuts power down.

my ultimate goal for my wagon is dr 5spd and ej22....funds are always the issue though.

From what I've seen, swapping in an EJ series engine into a DL or GL is possible, but it takes a lot of time and patience. 

The most difficult part seems to be the wiring, and since you have a complete Impreza that conveniently has title issues, that problem is almost solved. You will need to notch out the front frame rails as the EJs are a little wider than the EAs

Personally, I would drop the EJ18 in there and call it good. It makes 115 horses stock which is almost double what an EA series engine makes. It has fuel injection which means better fuel economy and better cold weather performance. 

As far as the suspension components, I would leave those as stock as possible (maybe get some stiffer springs). You'll likely have a hard time swapping the struts, control arms, etc. over to the GL wagon...

I myself am on the hunt for an Impreza with some title problems...the little EA71 in my wagon just isn't cutting it! 

Ok, how do i go about fixing the front struts? i've searched everywhere to no avail. ideas on that? 

i just ordered a set of front struts off an 85 gl-10 that i put on my 79 brat off of rock auto! ran about $90 shipped.

Edited by Kevint143