Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello All,

My 98 Forester with an automatic tranmsission has just recently decided to not start. I thought it might be the starter so I pulled it and took it to a shop and had it tested.  It came back ok.  I put the starter back in and the car started.

The car will sometimes start and othertimes all that comes on are the dash lights.  You can hear the fuel pump prime.  I am thinking it is possibly the Neutral Safety switch or maybe the starter relay but I am not sure.  The battery connections are clean and battery is charged.  

I am at the point where I would just like to swap out the neutral safety switch.  I just don't know where it is located on the 98 subaru forester and that is why I am here today asking for your assistance.  Can anyone tell me where it is located and how to get at it?  Thanks

Regards,

It could possibly be the ign switch inside the steering wheel. You can remove it easily from the left side after removing the covers. There is probably a bad contact. This is a somewhat common occurrence across all models.

If i am not mistaken, the neutral switch should be built into the shifter. This is true with 3spd automatic in 80's model GL and loyale.