Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just powdercoated up a set off 15" pugs I had laying in a scrap pile for a few years.

Nearly forgot I had them, wish I took a before pic.. they where super ratty.

Went with a matte black they came out well.... look at the pic!

I bought an 1989 hatch for $400 bucks in pa for parts, it turned out to be a solid low miles car. The rims where a little bent so I powdercoated up these pugs for it.

Not going to lift it or anything just planning to drive it though the winter.

What size tires would you guys recommend on these? Non lifted remember.

195/55r15

185/60r15

185/55r15

can you go much bigger without rubs?

Thanks - Verdurous

post-47338-0-60199000-1382485412_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

I used walnut to blast the old mess off them. Whipped them down with acetone, then denatured alcohol. Preheated them in the oven to 400 for ten minutes (to release gasses). Then Powder coated with a generous amount of matte black. Brought them to temp again 400 then let them bake for 20 minutes. It's so easy and the end result is very rewarding.

I even powder coated my SJR 4" lift kit red :) It came out amazing too.

I'm in the process of getting free ovens off craigslist. I'm making a mega Frankenstein oven so I can do larger parts.

• Like 1

Well I decided the just go for it ordered some 195/55r15's so I'll find out tomorrow.

Got some goodyear nordic's on the way, they have some nice looking lugs on them.

Had to order soon snow is in the forcast for tonight, and my BMW is on summer race tires and 3" from the ground.

Edited by Verdurous

I ran 185/70/13 on an unlifted hatch didn't even come close to rubbing. that was a 23.2" tire. your 185/55/15 would be smaller than that, so would be fine, but dunno the offset of that wheel. could rub on the rear inside of the front if the wheel moves the tire in. even your 195/55/15 would be less than 24" so I would think would be good, disregarding the offset.

I have those same wheels, painted black (yours are sweeter!). look familiar?

IMG_0436_zps85e4a249.jpg

Well it was a busy day today. The new wheels/tires are installed and they look great. The wet grass traction is not as good as I hoped it would be but the deep mud traction is pretty good. There was some slight rubbing but I am going to crank up the stock adjusters tomorrow and it should be fine. The new setup handles much beter than the miss matched 13's that came on the this $400 recuse that nearly got scrapped. I really like the look of the old 13" alloys, but the 15" pugs are great! I might clean up and powdercoat the old set just for fun. :) This weekend I plan to undertake some rust. This car, which I am naming RAY "rabid assault yeti" seems to be in good order. It may need a new clutch, but that seems to be all that's left to deal with. Wed is inspection day for it, but it should pass fine.

post-47338-0-33167000-1382659452_thumb.jpg

post-47338-0-40058900-1382659481_thumb.jpg

post-47338-0-74821200-1382659493_thumb.jpg

Edited by Verdurous

Thanks!

I used walnut to blast the old mess off them. Whipped them down with acetone, then denatured alcohol. Preheated them in the oven to 400 for ten minutes (to release gasses). Then Powder coated with a generous amount of matte black. Brought them to temp again 400 then let them bake for 20 minutes. It's so easy and the end result is very rewarding.

I even powder coated my SJR 4" lift kit red :) It came out amazing too.

I'm in the process of getting free ovens off craigslist. I'm making a mega Frankenstein oven so I can do larger parts.

Just read this, I didn't realize you did these yourself. Very cool.

Looks very nice, I like the tires you cose too. Where do they rub?

Those 13" alloys are one of my favorate wheels for old subarus. I forgot I used

To get 185/80/13 for an old hatch I had. They were getting hard to find. They would make for a nice second set of

Wheels on that ride you got there

Just on the stock mud flaps up front I think it is mainly the offset no big deal I noticed that car is on the absolute lowest setting on the front adjusters, they are soaking in pb blaster today, hopefully they turn nice tonight.

Im so jealous, I love those pugs... Granted I love my AA wheels too.. but those pugs always have a soft spot in my heart :D

LOOKS GREAT and I love the name

Yeah the styling was way ahead of it's time. I'm amazing that they balanced so well for being so old and beat when I started on them. The worst one was only 1/2 ounce off on the press balancer. I got lucky, my 14" pugs on the other lifted one are bent and beat to hell. I'd love to find a few replacements for those. Along with more center caps, only have 3 between two sets of pugs atm. Might try making a custom set.

I'm in Binghamton, upstate right in the middle of the PA line. It's not bad but taxes and laws are getting pretty out of hand up here. Looking to move some place without salt soon. :) How do you like the change to Colorado?

Ben through binghamton many moons ago. My dad still lives near Catskill. I grew up outside Albany. been in Colorado 24 years now, never looked back. Loeve living in the west. very different from the east coast.

I have the same pugs on my 1988 RX 195/55R15 with stock suspension and they rub pretty good on the rear quarters if i take a turn too hard or if I have too much weight in the car. The front however does not rub at all. I do know the suspension is a little different in those cars as compared to the GLs/DLs