Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cherry bomb on 87 GL wagon..works great!

Hey there everyone..

Been reading on the EA-performance page about the benifits of replacing the stock muffler with a Turbo or other cheap after market that will improve the flow, but keep the sound decent....I decided to give it a try...

so, went and bought the recomended turbo muffler, got ready to put it on, and didn't like the way it fit....so, back to the autoparts store and inquired about cherry bombs....I decided on a 22 inch (it's actually about 23 7/16)....it fit great!!!!

only thing, when cutting off the orriginal muffler, instead of cutting it right at the pipe where it enters to orriginal muffler, cut it about 3 inches away from the muffler....this piece (the one that is still on the exaust system) will fit right nice with the cherry bomb, and it will allow the bomb to fit right in the muffler pocket under the car, then about a 22 inch output pipe into the cherry bomb to the back of the car and it's done...

it's got nice tone, and it's actually quieter than the stock muffler (most of the time, unless you really get into the weber)...

I would highly recomend this....to anyone that is considering....total cost is about $28 bucks..

$16 for the Cherry bomb

qty 2 - 2inch muffler clamps at $2.00 ea.

24 inch of 2 inch output pipe $8.00

I know, according to some people there are cheaper ways to do this, but I'm glad it's been done this way...good tone, but not loud...just throaty!!

mark

Having run cherry bombs on my Subaru and thrush glasspacks on my Buick I prefer the sound and design of thrush glasspacks over cherry bombs. A few bucks more for a far better muffler. Just look down one of each. Cherry bomb looks like someone just stock a 12 guage with buck shot in there and pulled the trigger. Thrush actually designed a rifled pattern of louvers and are built tougher.

i replaced the stock muffler on my 81 DL with a cherry bomb and it the best thing ive done to it. its alot louder then the stock muffler but helps performance wise. My dads work has a chassis dyno that i have yet to test on to see the gains without it an with it. top end i feel more power and there is no dead spot over idle. Ive tried a turbo muffler from my friends car and it helped a little bit but the cherry bomb is much better. And plus i love the sound that it makes. especialy when im down shifting

I also have a cherry bomb on my 89 GL wagon, and I LIKE it!! Makes a nice growly sound when downshifting!! :brow: A little louder than stock, but not annoyingly so. When I put mine on it was do something quick and cheap as the original coffee can muffler fell apart!!

I haven't noticed any extra noise while downshifting or decelerating... That is what I was afraid of. The car has a nice tone when idling, and you get on it a little, you can really here it breath...but not loud...I think the 2 inch pipe I put in the out put helped calm things down.........

really enjoy it...more fun to drive now, and definately no flat spots...

chow for now!

mark

Greetings to all of ya...I'm a new member on the 'boards; first post...anyway...

I also mounted a cherry bomb on my Sube ('84 4WD 4-spd non-turbo wagon), using shims and clamps...kinda honky looking but they work none-the-less.

That was about a year ago and now the clamps have been ravaged, and the "clamping system" a.k.a. bailing wire, is rather loose. I've tightened it several times, but the clamps holding the bomb onto the orig, pipe have lost thier hold, and can't be tightened so the unit has a bit of sag...and less clearance.

Can't tell now as I'm used to it, but the sound differance was nice from what i had. When I originally installed it, I was mounting a new (well, junkyard new) front catalytic piece, stained with the previous owner's maintenance neglect...that finally burned off last week, so no more bad smell...

i had a old worn out like 12" cherry for a while not to bad

went to a shucks special 20 dollar "raptor" 2-1/4 muffler

not a bad sound but adding about10 inches of copper pipe to the end so it comes to the end of the muffler makes it much better

i may use the small cherry as kind of a "resonator" after the muffler just to se ehow it sounds

I was orriginally going with the raptor also...just didn't like the tight fit...that's why I decided on the Cherry bomb... My wife actually likes driving the car now...she say's it sounds good and throaty, but not TOOOOO loud...

mb

i had a old worn out like 12" cherry for a while not to bad

went to a shucks special 20 dollar "raptor" 2-1/4 muffler

not a bad sound but adding about10 inches of copper pipe to the end so it comes to the end of the muffler makes it much better

i may use the small cherry as kind of a "resonator" after the muffler just to se ehow it sounds