Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 vs EA82 front suspension

Uberoo

On my 78 brat I will be swapping the front suspension to either EA81 or EA82 front suspension,I'm not sure which one yet.On my EA81 based offroader hatch I went with EA82 suspension on the EA81 crossmember, it worked great other than no power steering made turning the big tires a chore on tight trails.So I was considering EA82 front suspension and crossmember to get powersteering and the correct geometry for the wider stance.Now that the hatch is destroyed I have to rebuild.Full Ea82 suspension under a gen 1 brat would widen the front stance by 5",at that point only 50% or less of the tires would even be under the fenders so some fender flares would be needed.Having the suspension that wide kinda defeats the purpose of the narrow gen 1 body in the first place.I can get an entire gen 2 brat front clip for $50 so I could easily get the EA81 front suspension.

On my latest excursion to NW washington jeff told me just to get an EA82 vehicle and be done with it,Good advice because it already has the 5 speed dual range and the better front suspension,just needs a better engine.Only problem is I don't live in the land of cheap and plentiful subarus. The cheapest Ea82 vehicle I could find was $600 compared to a $200 gen 1 brat shell from bill.

Although some of jeffs words did sink in,My next project wont have a transfercase and 31+ tires,but rather 4" of lift and some 27-29" tires with a DR 5 speed and an EJ.

Other than the even wider stance and more wheel travel what will I loose by using EA81 front suspension rather than EA82 suspension under the front of a gen 1 brat?

with EA82 suspension I could run a 2" suspension lift and not kill axles,with Ea81 suspension 1" might be pushing it.Like I said I like the EA82 suspension but it is simply too wide to sit under a gen 1 brat without massive fender flares.

You will still wear axles fast with a 2" suspension lift.  Ask me how I know.

I would say if you can make it work Gen3 suspension will be better.

EDIT:  Better yet just get a Gen3 Wagon/Sedan/Coupe and call it a day.

Edited by Vegablade

I have a 87 ea81 hatch with 28 in tires and no lift so you know the axles are at a bad angle. I've had the same axles for 3 months. Replace your ball joints and engine transmission mounts. Saves your axles. And gives you a smooth ride again:)

Bad angle?  You mean stock angle because you have no lift.  Bigger tires does not change the angle the axles sit at.