Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cometic Frankenmotor gasket?

Gloyale

For ej25d & ej251block, 100mm bore x .051" thick, right?

I come up with C-4264-051. Let me know if that fits the bill because I'll need a pair for my project soon.

NAh.....that still doesn't have the holes in the correct place for the water passages in the EJ22 heads.

There needs to be a hole dead center above the bores.  That gasket the holes are off to each side a bit around each bore.

• 2 weeks later...

These ones actually look closer to what I want

http://www.maperformance.com/tomei-101mm-bore-head-gasket-subaru-sti-ej25-04-12-1.0mm-thick.html?_rfkwc=1

You can see clearly they have openings at the very bottom for the coolant passage that feeds the pocket between the exhaust valves.

This passage IMG_0436_zps2e63ac0f.jpg

And also there are passages as the top, which those STI gaskets have a kidney shaped opening that should also accomodate coolant making it to these areas.

IMG_0437_zps732cfbe9.jpg

IMG_0438_zpsa2fbf842.jpg

Remember in EJ engines, coolant is pushed out of the pump, into the area below each cylinder.  Then it passes through the gasket, into the lower head, up through it, and back past the gasket into the top portion of the block, and then up and out to the radiator.

So if the passages in the headgasket don't line up, it could SEVERELY restrict the flow of coolant around the entire engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, the custom Cometic page doesn't list .056" as an available thickness:

http://www.cometic.com/custom-gaskets.aspx

.051" would be fine though. If they're pricey I'm thinking we could try for a group buy(?) of H1631SPK051S in pairs.

I'm friendly with an auto machine shop down here, JMS(Johnson Machine Service). No promises but may have a connection through his shop. ;)

Edited by czny

Gloyale, are you ordering for yourself from there?

I contacted my friend Mike Johnson(JMS) about placing an order with Cometic for the H1631SPK051S & he said that Cometic doesn't really give a break on low volume orders, that he knows of. He has ordered directly from Cometic in the past & would be willing to try a larger order if we got enough people together for this gasket.

What do you say?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Have requested a price & ETA for one set thru my friend. His response was that the order desk dropped the ball at Cometic. I keep going back to friend's shop to remind him to put a bug in their ears at Cometic.

Will keep at it. I need a set as well.

• 2 weeks later...

They are finally here!!

Part number H1631spk051s

My friend Mike's comment was that now that the gaskets were ordered once it should be easier next time. 

His biggest beef was with the ordering desk - dropping the ball on a relatively easy order. People on the other end of the phone line arguing that the specific die number doesn't matter(??!!!!)

Edited by czny

NOw that's What I'm Talkin about!!!  the water ports line up perfectly.  gotta order a few sets.....

Be sure to specify loud & clear how you want them shipped.

They expedited my order after procrastinating since February - at a cost of $50 UPS Blue to me!! :eek::mad:

Yikes! Mine were $99 with free shipping on eBay.

I do not find that part on Ebay. Part number: H1631spk051s

Lots of other Cometic gaskets....but not those ones. 

You said you used H1631SPK040S.....which are not the same.......cooling holes in wrong place.

I'd love it if they were on ebay for $99.

Edited by Gloyale

They've had these since about '06, them getting the order right is the hard part.

Yeah, you look at that Die #222 pic & the revision states rivet position moved 6/2007.

Don't know if it'll make any difference in their ability to hear, but some feedback from my friend Mike is definitely going to the office.