Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Midwest 2 Status/Recovery updated:(and how to send $)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possible. But they weren't supposed to drive my car anywhere for that very reason. Even if they are, I have recieved no call..... Not to say they had it, or that they were bringing it back, or that they broke it. Just nothing. I'm not saying they stole it, but my car is MIA and I can't afford to have it broken, or abandoned somewhere else, or....... I'm just so upset & frustrated that I don't know what else to do other than see if the cops can find it for me. I mean, really, this is just wrong. I feel bad doing it, (but less so every minute that passes with no news) but I don't see any other way of locating my car. Sorry, guys, I think I'm going to have to.

Spoke with Mike the farmers wife (mike is out helping shawn's parents load his brat) She said she saw my car sitting at the antique shop in town most of the day (man, I hope it still runs) I contacted the local cops (very nice) to see if they can locate & secure it for me. They are supposed to call me back in a bit when they know something. I'll keep you all posted. (no Idea where Fox and crew or subiemech's car might be)

well, here i am with both cars, eyesore and subiemech, all safe and sound.

would you know that we had a ball joint failure and it ripped the axle apart. luckily i found 4 of the barings under the car, one in the doj, and the last one 200 feet behind the car. we had to use subiemechs car to make a run to the hardware. i managed to put the axle back to gether, and set the ball joint. i used some steel cable to tie the ball joint up to keep it from popping out again. i saved the axle, but the boot is shot. no other damage excep for the corner of the fender got pushed in a little.

subiemechs car lost its inner fender skirt, and the sheetmatal was acting as a wing, so we had to remove it. but i brought a fender to fix all of that, so it would have come off anyway.

i told the dude in the legacy that we were taking eyesore and subiemech's car to onowa, and to send someone back to us to take us back to my car, so we can all meet at the campsite. well, no one came, and we broke down, and then had to go to the campground ourselves in subiemech to recover matt and out stuff. miscommunication? well, we are all good now.

so now we are setting off to deliver subiemechs car to his place, and to see about keeping the sedan and wagon from demoines over there.

although eyesore was very frustrated about not knowing the whereabouts of his ride, it in the end saved him t he hassle of trying to find a way to get it, same for subiemech. i pulled through what i could for these guys, i feel i have done may part as anyone has.

one more thing, in my opinion, i think these guys with the ford trucks should share some of the road expenses, being if that they never went out, and we waited a day to get our soobs, there would be little or no damage to the roads. how can the edge of a field be a roud? put up a street sign and call it one.

see you in desmoines

Eyesore, i think you should calm down. Miles not be the sharpest pencil in the box, but i know he wouldn't go stealing a USMB members car, or take it to rally just cause they were bored. If you were/are that worried about it then why did you leave the car in the 1st place? Whenever I get stuck, the last thing I'd do would be to leave my car behind. In a case like this, with trusted USMB members things are different. Im glad to hear your car is safe in your arms now.

Are there any cars left?

-Brian

Okay, here is my post.

Myself and my family are all back in Lincoln, safe and sound.

There was absolutly no damage to my van.

The last I saw of Matt and his Legacey, he and Kurt were still cleaning about 400 pounds of mud out of everywhere.

Last I saw of the Trashwagon, it was still sitting at the pavement end of the dirt road, with the key in it.

There were NO citations issued. The farmer/cop did not charge us for extrication, however, he said he would appreciate a "care package", since diesel and his time are not free. I think Kurt got his info for that.

And he didn't bring his CAT tractor, as it was 8 miles away...he brought a "smaller" 2WD Massey-Furguson, and it did just fine.

No one would believe how much that road dried out in just one day...it was rather amazing.

More if I think of it.

Looking forward to the next meet and great!

Oh, and Kurt left the campground a little after 5pm I think. His BRAT seems to be fine as well.

RedLance

aka Brian

still waiting for mine to appear, will reward milesfox , he did do a lot for us and stayed with the cars that were still stuck, and delievered eyesore and will be delivering mine to me when he can, and am glad that my car was able to help with the rescue. :banana:

It's just a minimum maintenance road, the road grader would have to go by a couple of times, and it would be done. Dirt roads are cheap to maintain and repair, and $ would be like $200, if not covered by the regulary scheduled maintenance. Iowa is so cheap and almost bankrupt, with a budget that has been negatively "balanced" for at least 5 years with the current govenor that they have to find money any way they can, that they might try to collect every $$$ that they possibly can. :dead:

I have a field of that stuff, and could send some of it to who wants, the only good thing that can be done to help with the water issue is deep fall tillage, and is known for its properties of sticky "glue" with an appetite for anything that dares to venture out into the trap. It has even swallowed our "big" tractor, a 75ish massey ferguson 1155 2wd with a v8 perkins 200hp engine

Oh I almost forgot, EyeSore and the Trashwagon both drove out with no help at all. Subiemech85's wagon, really only needed to be pulled up onto the road, then Miles drove it on out. The rest were all pulled the full mile back to pavement.

I had Shawn's BRAT running, and was able to assist the tractor. I didn't try real hard, as we didn't want to hurt the BRAT anymore.

So, as far as I know, the only one left is the guys FORD, which by now will drive out, once he fixes the power steering leak.

RedLance

I'm calming down now....;) Was never under the assumption that Fox & crew stole the car, I know they wouldn't do THAT!! I was just disturbed that It wasn't left where/how I had asked, and that 8 hous later I had herd nothing about where it might be or what was going on. I talked very nicely to a very nice officer, explained the situation, explained that the car was not stolen, and I was not looking to press any charges or anything like that, just to see if they could locate and secure it for me (small town cops are so much nicer to deal with than city ones) Basically, I asked them to go by the antique store (it's last know sighting) to see if it was still there, and to make sure it was secure. I gave them no names of anyone to try and go after or anything. I left it because I'm 2 hours away and was under the impression that it would be left (as tim & shawns were) at the farmers for me to retrieve once unstuck. I was just stressed anyway, and finding out it was "lost" only made me worse. (I'm normally a pretty mellow guy, really.) At any rate, it's home now. I'll take a look in the daylight and assess the damage. And I do appreciate The guys' efforts. I know it was all with the best intentions.

Sorry if I freaked out here on the board, everybody.

I just was on the phone with Kurt he is in St Louis on the way to work. He got home at 2am.

The only person that has not been confirmed as at home and safe now is Matt with the Legacy GT. I will try to reach him as soon as I have his number again (Joy has it).

Did JohnCD ever get back to Milwaukee?

Another board member and subaru fanatic showed up Sunday at the park from Milwaukee WI, at the same time I was retrieving the parts up there.

He met some of the remaining people at the campground, then him and Shawn followed me home with my noisy tranny. John picked up some parts from me for his Brat restoration before he headed for WI....

John must have made it home. he was on the board yesterday morning....

so here's the board members who made it to the meet....

McBrat +1

ShawnW +1

gessner17 +1

Eyesore

SubieMech85

Syrinx +1

RedLance +4

MilesFox +1

ZannyDook

johncyd

88xt6joe +2

ChefTim

Vickaroo

DaveValiant

Sorry to hear a little mud kept you from driving it home Shawn. Happy to hear you got some mud on it. Now you just need a lift and some tires and a welded diff. Then you can get back there and make short work of that little mud hole you guys were playing in. hehe

I'm glad everyone is in one piece and everything is getting resolved.

Vicky, when we picked up Shawn's brat last night Tim's car was sitting at Mike's place. He said that Ian asked him if it was in his way because he probably couldn't bring it to you until first part of next week. Glad to hear everyone is getting home ok. :cool:

Well, I know this was supposed to be a fun trip and everything, but I am not happy with the outcome. I'm not blaming any one person. I am thankful for anyone that helped me out. I dont know how something like this can be handled. I now have a bunch of repairs that need done and no $$$ for it. I'm not sure what to do.

My 01 legacy sustained some decent damage.

I am pretty sure I blew at least one axel.

My inner fender liner ripped out, mud is now in places it is not supposed to be

My factory ground affects are broken on one side.

My fender is bent from the inner one ripping off and having mud pushed up into the fender area

My exhaust got messed up and is now loud.

I have a ton of squeaks that I have no idea where they are coming from

I basically ruined a new tire, the mud smoked it

I am not sure if the tranny got damaged or not, it seem to shift a lot harder now, I am going to flush it ASAP.

Again thanks to everyone that helped me, with out you, I would have been even worse off.

"A little mud" didnt keep me from driving it home. I toasted the clutch pretty bad and my brat was drug thru the mud like a Farmers plow on Saturday night when I wasn't there. It went a lot deeper than most did and I just wanted to play it safe. My Brat has 196k miles on it and I want to keep the original engine going to 300k. That would be something to be proud of for Jerry and I.

I am pretty sure that Ruzilla is a similar story his clutch smelled awful and he tried to pull that van out which really didn't help his.