Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sounds like a sticky lifter

Clack clack clack from passenger side bank on start up. Not too bad.. and goes away after warm up. 170K on the ej22. I've been running full synthetic for a couple of years. Could I do Seafoam in the oil or something else. Anything I might do besides get used to it. Thanks

What kind of oil filter are you using? Oil filter quality can cause lifter noise at startup.

If you have used several different filters and the noise is constant through all of them it could be a problem with the lifter, or the oil passage in the rocker shaft or rocker arm could be partially clogged.

Another thing to check is the bolts that hold the rocker shaft assembly to the head. Make sure they're tight.

Edited by Fairtax4me

That's interesting about the filter. I usually get autozones gold version. The clacking started last week. About 2500 miles into a fresh oil change. Maybe I should swap the filter.. I'm still thinking there's an oil additive that would help clean things out. Is this advisable?

If you're using full synthetic there really isn't anything that will clean better than that.

You might try Marvels, but the effects will likely only be temporary.

My 96 lets me know its almost time to change the oil by doing exactly this. It starts clicking about 2500 miles in. I change the oil soon after (Valvoline maxlife and purolator or hastings filter) and have another 2500 noise free miles. Started doing that around 180k, still turning strong now at 227k.

Well mines a 96 too. I've been running about 5k on each synthetic change. This is the first clacking. I guess I should think about changing sooner. Autozone has monthly deals. For 25 I get oil and filter. Usually Mobil 1. I'll see if changing helps.