Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recently had the left rear wheel bearing done on my 1990 Legacy wagon by a local shop that has done other work in the past - not a lot, but a few things here & there...had the tires rotated while it was there...

I made the mistake of taking it for granted that the job was done correctly - after all, they had done good work in the past.

Driving it home on the paved road, it just felt a little "loose" - not like I was used to, even with a bad bearing. I figured that maybe they had lowered the air pressure back to stock pressures when they rotated the tires (I run 34 psi on all 4, stock is 30 front/28 rear) and didnt think much more of it.

Anyway - it was mentioned to me when I picked the car up that it needed new brake pads - all the way around..."less than 25%," I was told

So I picked up new pads, and went to put them on today....

Jacked up the back end, and found this:

This is worse than it was when I took it in....Needless to say I am completely POed! :mad:

And all my friends wonder why I prefer to do my own work! Stupidity like this is why!

Looking at it, you can see that the nut is no where near seated on the axle stub far enough - there are still threads showing on the nut!

The car goes back the the shop tomorrow morning, I am insisting on another BRAND NEW bearing being put in - for free, I want to see the old parts as proof, and I will make darn sure that the nut is seated properly before it leaves thier yard again.

The worst part about all this is that it is the same shop that is doing the tranny install on the 95... :(

I called the shop number today, thinking I would leave a message - they happen to have a 24 hr towing service, so I was actually able to talk to the shop foreman about it...his response: "I will need to see it." He is gonna see it all right - first thing bright and early!

oh, yeah - forgot to mention - the only brake pads that need replacing are on that corner, due to the looseness of the hub (both before and after the job) - the rest are all at better than 75-80% - I thought I had done them not all that long ago (late spring, maybe - not all that many miles on them)....turns out I was right.

Tragic...

You need to bake some brownies for them as a good will gesture...loaded with ex-lax and senokot.

then before you leave plug up the toilet.

not that I am advocating such behavior in a public forum...but still.

Hopefully its not just a case of

"Well - Because you are a female we just thought..."

then you can proceed to kick their behinds and with my blessings. 

I'll pray for your success in whatever path you should decide to undertake.

hopefully there is not much lasting damage to your vehicle.

(or your serenity)

as I said...

Prayers for you...

silently,

timothy

Thank you, Tsuru...I doubt I will go to the trouble of baking anything, but I know a lot of people (and am a member on Angies List) - and bad reviews tend to spread like wild fire...but - I will refrain from doing anything (other than general complaining - no names) until I see how they are going to handle the situation.

If they will make it right at no cost to me, everything is good.

If they try to charge me for ANYTHING - there will be he11 to pay...

Excellent plan,

Yes, just so long as they admit and correct their mis-wrenching.

it's sad to lose a (good) garage, but I have dealt with poor garages (and car dealerships) and as far as I am concerned they can all rot in hell.

Best hopes that they are willing to save their reputation.

Please let us know the outcome of your endeavors?

watchingly,

Timothy

If negotiations deteriorate, then my approach is to threaten a law suit............. My past successful verbal threat uses the "if" word to utter a conditional threat, that is softened by saying "hate to", so I say............ "I would hate to have to take you to court over this, but if I have to, I will. ............I have never had to take anyone to court, but that is the type of claims that small claims courts are designed to handle.

Good luck............be tough!!

Well - took the car in this morning (on the trailer). Had a discussion with the foreman - showed him the above video.

He started out by trying to sneak the "We'll get that torqued up for you" nonsense past me - I said, "No - I want new bearing, and seals, installed - what is on there has been compromised" - he quickly backtracked to finding me a new bearing (closest is out of Minneapolis - 3.5 hrs away) and seals (about an hour away) - he should have all parts in hand mid morning tomorrow.

We will have to see how the rest of this story goes.

You can bet I will be closely inspecting the axle nut this time...No more taking things for granted...

You know what works great for installing bearings?

Axle nut sockets. (Impact-rated)

I've hammered in two sets of bearings twice now.

No problems. No problems.

Sure, press them in.

Of course that's the right way.

In terms of getting things done in a pinch, on a budget?

Hammer away.

Edited by BoxerRebellion

You know what works great for installing bearings?

Axle nut sockets. (Impact-rated)

I've hammered in two sets of bearings twice now.

No problems. No problems.

Sure, press them in.

Of course that's the right way.

In terms of getting things done in a pinch, on a budget?

Hammer away.

Usually I don't like hammer mechanics............but this I can see would work.

Well, bearing has been replaced along with new seals and a new axle nut as well - all at no cost to me.

nut was torqued to 152 ft lbs per FSM specs (123 to 152)

Car feels much better going down the road, but I will be keeping an eye on that axle nut for a couple of weeks to make sure it doesnt back off.

Well, bearing has been replaced along with new seals and a new axle nut as well - all at no cost to me.

nut was torqued to 152 ft lbs per FSM specs (123 to 152)

Car feels much better going down the road, but I will be keeping an eye on that axle nut for a couple of weeks to make sure it doesnt back off.

If it was torqued down as you say, it won't back off. It is a matter of trust, that it was indeed torqued down as stated, as you weren't there.

You are correct that it is a "trust" issue.

I "trusted" that the job had been done correctly the first time - and it wasnt, so of course I am going to be suspicious for a time.

as you should be. That shop was so inept to think the job was finished with the wheel wobbling that bad, I wouldn't go back there again. I am no mechanic, but have changed wheel bearings, and know to check for tightness afterwards. That is just common sense.

It is a frustrating thing to lose trust in something (people, vehicles, toaster ovens) once that trust is lost, you find yourself apprehensive and second guessing every aspect of "normal".

too bad there is no way to quickly regain that trust. The only way is to have faith and...trust...that it will be okay, but as they say, "Trust, but VERIFY".

Like you had mentioned before, and something that we ALL here 100% agree upon, There is NOTHING like doing your own wrenching, it is the only fully guaranteed way to know if something is done the way it should be done, and the way you need it to be done. (to the best of ones abilities, and tool set of course)

plus its a really awesome feeling to know that the parts that have your fingerprints on them, are the parts that are carrying you along the trail, where you are free to enjoy the scenery instead of worrying about some minimum paid flunky with a less than sterling work ethic having properly set up and/or assembled whatever critical component needed to promote happiness and well being in your humble little existence.

Yup, the only real way to know, it to do it your owndangself.

(if one has the freaking time!)

Glad it all worked out for you Heartless.

sad that it had to be a wall of displeasure to get around.

Have faith in the vehicle, its a Subaru, if they did it correctly, theres nothing to fear.

(until faith is restored, however, we will be watching and praying for you)

Respectfully,

Timothy

Tsuru - most things I do take care of myself, but these tapered roller bearings that need to be "pressed" in/out are beyond my tools/capabilities, so I took it to a shop.

The first time they did the job (several years ago) they did a fine job - no problems at all.

Also, my schedule is so ridiculously busy right now - between work and school, I have almost no time to do anything. Just trying to find the time to get a set of brake pads installed is proving to be a difficult job, lol.

I have complete faith in the car - it is, as you said, a Subaru after all, and I cant very well blame the car for a job not done well...that would be silly.

No, If I blame anyone, it is partially the mechanic that didnt do the job right, and partially myself for not verifying that it was done right.

• Like 1

Even with all the right tools for the job is very hard every time I hate this job and do alot a 3/4 impact helps and a kent moore hub remover installer tool kitt helps also a 20 ton press and berring knife. It cost 350 $ + for me to change that berring if I can get the bolts out for trailing arms and knukle bolt. This is #1 on my not favort jobs list

Even with all the right tools for the job is very hard every time I hate this job and do alot a 3/4 impact helps and a kent moore hub remover installer tool kitt helps also a 20 ton press and berring knife. It cost 350 $ + for me to change that berring if I can get the bolts out for trailing arms and knukle bolt. This is #1 on my not favort jobs list

Exactly why it is well beyond our meager capabilities - we cant afford the kind of tools that it would require.