Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pull transmission?

not on a brat but i've pulled Subaru engines and trans together on ER and EJ's and that's pretty easy actually.  need lots of clearance for the lift to go up and over the rad support but it's otherwise quite simple considering there's no bell housing bolts to disconnect insitu.

can you get it off the ground and drop the trans from underneath like you're used too?  i've done that before too.

• 2 weeks later...

I've dropped the trans on my '81 several times.  I used to jack the thing way the hell up to clear the bellhousing.  Installation was a pain that way.  Last time I just pulled the engine and trans together and it was a lot easier.  Installation was way better that way too.  It means draining coolant and unhooking a lot of stuff, but at least you can stand there and do it for the most part.

Some how I am getting the message that not many of you have dropped a transmission from a 78 brat  before.There is a cross member where the radius arms go to that sits directly under the transmission.The only way the transmission is coming out the bottom is if the suspension cross member+radius mount cross member comes off.

EA81/Ea82 transmissions are cake.