Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1989 gl sw dual range grinds going into gears,clutch is good .Did I adjust the cable wrong?

It just barely grinds into second some times 3rd .I just don't want to hurt the tranny. Was front wheel drive auto,now dual range 4x4  posi .New seals, belts almost every weird thing done even new metal in the wheel wells . I have 15 inch pug rims .Rear is already lifted . Would a 2 inch front lift work without losing axles all the time ? could I get away with 3 inch ? I just love this car !

Can the clutch cable be adjusted correctly without the hill holder mechanism? I also never put the holder in when I did the trans swap... I can't seem to adjust the cable to bring the friction point low on the clutch, it engages super high.

The clutch spring from a FWD can be used on a 4WD clutch fork when the Hill-Holder has been removed.

I'm using a throttle return spring off some other vehicle on my '88 Wagon. All that's needed is a spring of proper length, and not a lot of tension when stretched. All the spring is supposed to do is pull the throw-out bearing away from the pressure plate when the clutch is engaged.