Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So i am trying to remove the CV axle from my 99 OBS. it came out of the tranny no problem. but the wheel side is a bear! I have tryed spraying WD40, heating, PB break, beating it with hammer. it just wont come loose. any suggestions? And yes I removed the 1 1/4" axle nut first.

Edited by 99 Outback Sport

There are stories of onethat was taken to shop and a 30-40 ton press couldn't get the axle out of the hub.

These are often stuck in there really good though. If a 3lb sledge wont budge it after a few hits, a hub puller can usually get it loose without mushrooming the end of the axle.

There are stories of onethat was taken to shop and a 30-40 ton press couldn't get the axle out of the hub.

These are often stuck in there really good though. If a 3lb sledge wont budge it after a few hits, a hub puller can usually get it loose without mushrooming the end of the axle.

Thank you. I was hoping to put the old axle back in again but now the "U" joint is stuck at a downward angle and will not go back into tranny. SMH

Pep boys, autozone, etc have pullers (really pushers, heh) for sale and loan.

A good 3-arm one with fixed arms and made to be hit with a sledge after having the bejeezus tightened out of it will do the job (after you put the arm back in the ball-joint so you can really smack the bugger)

• 2 weeks later...