Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I would say its a good price, considering the ej22 is rock solid and the mileage still leaves room for an other hunderd thou. The only other way to get an engine so cheap is offer scrap value for a whole car for its engine.

maybe you can try to offer 250 or 225. How complete is the engine(harness, intake alt, etc) Personally, i would go as far as 300 if i was shopping myself for one. Those early 2.2's will begin to dry up and go up in value as they become more rare.

I would say its a good price, considering the ej22 is rock solid and the mileage still leaves room for an other hunderd thou. The only other way to get an engine so cheap is offer scrap value for a whole car for its engine.

maybe you can try to offer 250 or 225. How complete is the engine(harness, intake alt, etc) Personally, i would go as far as 300 if i was shopping myself for one. Those early 2.2's will begin to dry up and go up in value as they become more rare.

Well it's listed on carparts, I remember once I went to a place and they did not have in the listing they had a core price, but I got them to wave it because I rushed like a madman to get to the place before it closed.

I paid 600 for a 96 EJ22 last week.  Core would have been $150 but I brought a dead EJ25d for trade when I went to pick it up.

The yards are realizing they can ask more for them now as they become more rare, and the cars that are still out there are getting old and people need engines.

If you are willing to travel to a Pull-A-Part, you can get a complete 2.2L for $150 (you pull it though) with a $55 core. I'd keep the core for that price and sell outright. That's a complete engine, prices change slightly depending on which one you go to. There are atleast 10 ej22 within a 40 mile radius of me, and they are almost always fully intact.  http://www.pullapart.com/parts/pricing.aspx?letter=&loc=25pricelist

Edited by Bushwick

If you are willing to travel to a Pull-A-Part, you can get a complete 2.2L for $150 (you pull it though) with a $55 core. I'd keep the core for that price and sell outright. That's a complete engine, prices change slightly depending on which one you go to. There are atleast 10 ej22 within a 40 mile radius of me, and they are almost always fully intact.  http://www.pullapart.com/parts/pricing.aspx?letter=&loc=25pricelist

sucks i guess it pays to live far away from large cities

Actually they're all located near main cities. Out of the 4 near me, 2 are in Cleveland, one in Akron, and one in Canton. All strategically located near our main cities. Look at their site and you'll see every location in other states are all in major cities. Are you in CT? They're still expanding, so maybe one will open near you soon. They're nice yards, completely gravel, cars are neatly rowed, and they cycle new cars in daily. Seems they'll create a row, keep cars in that row for 4 weeks, the rotate fresh ones in. So instead of waiting months for something to come in, they usually have several on hand and Subaru stuff seems to get extra lot time by 2-4 extra weeks.

Last week there were two remanufactured EJ22s from Indiana put up on ebay. About $1000.00 ea. and were said to come from a local rebuilder. Clearance priced as slow sellers. They were sold the same day.

It was Jasper Indiana.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

You could ask, but they are probably Jasper engines. I take it as just slow seller in the midwest with all the engines out there and rusted away bodies. I'm a gambler if I like the odds. I'd buy one if I needed it and I'd bet they would be just fine.

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

yes - $275 is a good price, i usually shoot for $250 so you're right there.  $250 - $450 the average around here so you're on the low end.

my wife is from Canton and Ohio has it made - tons of cheap, flat, land.  that's not the case in the northeast, on the coast, or in the mountains.

i've wondered why there's not more...but i guess my area is so tiny, where cities in this state are just dinky suburbs in other states, market is too small i guess.  and you'd have to supply torches for anyone to get through rusty bolts. LOL

Still waiting to go and get the engine.. if I get it Monday it's going to be friken cold out swapping the motor.. like 37F however most yards close at 12 Pm on weekends so that's not going to work out with my friend taking me.

I'm pretty sure I have everything I could need right now waiting.. I have the cosmetic EJ22t turbo gaskets so they can mate with the EJ25d heads, new waterpump (one on car only has maybe 60K on it) new oil pump seal since I'm not transferring the pump it's self.

2 bottles of Rotella T6

2 bottles of coolant

new intake manifold gaskets

new oil filter

from what I understand, the coolant pipes have to be transferred over to the EJ22 and the headbolts from the EJ25 have to be used on the EJ22

Head bolts stretch. I wouldn't reuse old head bolts off a high mileage car, especially one with unknown history. If you are going through the trouble of this swap, better off playing it safe and spending $30 as opposed to accidentally snapping an old, fatigued head bolt in an engine you are trying to install in mid 30's weather, or worse you end up with uneven clamping and a head warps.  

I had a junk block and head with a headgasket and proceded to torque it down. I was so amazed at the time as I had put considerable torque on the EA82 headbolt. I started twisting the torque wrench as if it were a breaker bar. Around and around then the first headbolt snapped, right where the threads end up the bolt.

New headbolts are inexpensive for these. Especially if you have nasty looking ones. I just go through them and toss all the ones that look bad and keep the rest.

I have like two sets of head bolts, I picked up what I only thought were going to be 2.5L heads from a guy in PA, but he ended up giving me all new TB covers, 4 new cam sprockets amazing cool guy and nice built up 2.5RS in the garage!

Anyways i think I settled on a Ej22 with 196K on it for $275 the other one wanted a exchange but it was marked with 100K on it since I need to tear down the EJ25 block for parts and to learn I'm keeping the block, it would be nice to have the car running today but I don't think I have the energy to do so.

I'm hoping the EJ25 shortblock can be carried? I don't recall what the weight was of it, you know if the car wont stay running that bearing(s) must be jacked.