Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, I'm wondering about the potential of using a stock ECU for an engine swap.

Does anyone know what would be required to use the stock ECU for a 2007 ez30r in a different vehicle? has anyone tried to swap this engine and had results with said stock ECU?

I've heard that there might be a bunch of issues with regard to the fact that there wouldn't be a bunch of sensors that the ECU would expect to be present, but I'd REALLY love to save the $2200 that would be potentially spent on a aftermarket ECU (I'm considering the Haltech p2000 sport since it looks like it can run the AVCS programs)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Can you provide a little more details about the swap?  Are you planning to run the correct engine with this ECU? 

As long as the appropriate sensors are feeding the ECU the correct info it should be fine.  There are sensors off the engine that feed to the ECU, so you would need to do something about that.

Another option or thought here is utilizing Open ECU or similar architecture to modify/tune that ECU to ignore or not use those sensors you don't have.  I don't know how successfull this would be.  For example, folks use the Open ECU, Cobb Tuning, or similar ECU tuning programs to turn off catalytic converter efficiency codes.  Granted this is more of an emissions/compliance code vs. something that is critical for engine operation.  More research would need to go into this option to identify the needed sensors and whether they are necessary for proper engine operation.

If you're swapping the engine and the ECU goes with it. The ECU doesn't particularly care what cars it's in as long as it gets proper power and ground.

Carry over the wiring harnesses with the engine and ECU, and use a pinout chart for the ECU to determine which wires can be cut out and which ones need to stay. The things that are absolutely necessary kind of vary though.

An 07 3.0 vehichle could have VDC

In that case, the ECU will be looking for some info from the TCU and ABS computers.  Probably a hack around that with dummy sensors/resistors and may not affect engine operation if just left disabled.

That and throttle by wire(don't forget to get the gas pedal) are the 2 things that complicate this swap as compared to pre-2006 ECU's

Can you provide a little more details about the swap? Are you planning to run the correct engine with this ECU?

I'm swapping the EZ30R into an '88 xt6. I've replaced the transmission with a '97 JDM sti transmission. Basically, the mechanical swap is done, but at this point I still need to wire everything up, and throw an exhaust on it.

An 07 3.0 vehichle could have VDC

In that case, the ECU will be looking for some info from the TCU and ABS computers.  Probably a hack around that with dummy sensors/resistors and may not affect engine operation if just left disabled.

That and throttle by wire(don't forget to get the gas pedal) are the 2 things that complicate this swap as compared to pre-2006 ECU's

2007 seems to be pretty good year. I've already installed a Throttle-by-wire as well as a Hydraulic clutch, which replaced the cable actuated XT6 structure.

From what I've understood, in 2008 the AVCS moved from using the speed sensor in the transmission, to using the ABS sensors or some garbage, so I should be good there too, although I don't know I will need to somehow modify a ez30r sensor, or if the stock (STI) sensor will provide the correct signal.

Another option or thought here is utilizing Open ECU or similar architecture to modify/tune that ECU to ignore or not use those sensors you don't have. I don't know how successfull this would be. For example, folks use the Open ECU, Cobb Tuning, or similar ECU tuning programs to turn off catalytic converter efficiency codes. Granted this is more of an emissions/compliance code vs. something that is critical for engine operation.

I was considering this, but I really don't have any experience with this kind of modification...I would very much like to hear about options for altering ECU code. If I understood a bit better what I was looking for, I'm sure I could work it out.

If I could, I would love to essentially remove all of the various functions except the basic engine tune, and then the AVCS application. Since the engine is going into an xt6 (which has it's own control modules for al of the various features and functions) the ECU only needs to run the engine, nothing else!

• 2 weeks later...

I was considering this, but I really don't have any experience with this kind of modification...I would very much like to hear about options for altering ECU code. If I understood a bit better what I was looking for, I'm sure I could work it out.

If I could, I would love to essentially remove all of the various functions except the basic engine tune, and then the AVCS application. Since the engine is going into an xt6 (which has it's own control modules for al of the various features and functions) the ECU only needs to run the engine, nothing else!

Here is the website for Open ECU.  I'd suggest reading over it, http://openecu.org/index.php

You can d/l the software and some base maps to look/play around with.

IIRC, the way the wiring is done in the 2007 3.0 is a CAN system which can be a bear to wire up properly. I've seen a few guys use the same engine but use a Link G4 or another standalone fuel management system (like Megasquirt) to run it. You might want to get your hands on a wiring schematic for it if you haven't already.