Ultimate Subaru Message Board

torque converter in front of a manual

Uberoo

I am wondering if it would be even possible to put a torque converter in front of a normal manual transmission, IE a DR 5 speed?At low speeds the torque converter creates torque multiplication.So an engine that makes 100 ft-lb at the flywheel could make 150 -200 at the transmission in an ideal world.That extra torque would be nice for getting big tires turning,offroad put it in 1st low and it should crawl up over obstacles without ever stalling the engine. 

in the 50's dodge/plymouth had something very similar before they made a true automatic but that used some propriety components.

Apparently in baja racing some of the trucks have manual transmissions modified to use a torque converter rather than a clutch because the tq converter acts like a shock absorber so the engines arn't put under huge loads from the constant air tire and landings.Rumor has it to shift you let off the gas and then you can shift while moving.So in that case they are put in 1st then started then its just like a normal manual from that point minus the clutch..

• 3 weeks later...

Why not take advantage of a locking converter: locked for highway use & unlocked for crawling.

A simple vane pump for circulating ATF, a 12V solenoid directional valve & route the oil through the oil cooler in the radiator to maintain temperatures. Cold ATF is not a good thing in a TC.

Just put an Auto in with  a lockup converter, and use a switch panel. This makes it a Semi auto.

This is a good start.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/catalog/subaru-complete-performance-transmission/4eat-performance-transmission-4048.html

They used to make a Manual shift/ auto console that would not be hard to emulate for the right person.( Eulogious ) lol

Oh yeah, don't forget the shift kit valve body work.

It would cost about as much as the R&D, and machining for what you are talking about.

And is doing the same thing.

cheers

Edited by monstaru

I know there are torque converters with fins, the Vanagon has one.  But this is just additional cooling, it's not a sealed unit.  Maybe there are others that are sealed?  But I doubt it, the heat produced by a torque converter is enormous.  With the car stopped, but the torque converter at stall speed all the horsepower is being dumped as heat.  100 ft-lbs * 2000 RPM = 38 HP = 28,000 watts...  That's a lot.

It would be cool though, like the old VW Autostick.

Eulogious didn't write a line of assembly code or do any reverse engineering.  He just copied what I did, after I helped him out, and took the credit.  Bitter?  You could say that.  I mailed him multiple ROM chips and never got a dime for any of it.

• 3 weeks later...

The pro race baja trucks and buggy use a manual trans with a torque converter style adaption..... BUT!!!!!!! There are a sequentialy shifted trand like a pro stock race car .... They only shift when power is applied and let off either by driver or by computer... Soo in short they rev and shift at same time but it is a lockup switch custom style converter 3 kevlar clutch lockup with stages of lockup .... Everything is built for race so find a torque converted with same spline ,depth diameter , and weight as at trans.... Good luck but gatta be somthin out there that can be retrofitted from race application ......

my vw bus auto the torque converter and pump housing are seperate and can be unbolted there is also the auto stick but they arent that strong but they climb like a goat but im guessing a modded auto would be easyer cheaper and more reliable  then just add a tcase and be done  

what a nutty idea, i love what Uberoo get's into!  are there any existing transmissions that already do this - simpler to retrofit than redesign the wheel so to speak?

I

Eulogious didn't write a line of assembly code or do any reverse engineering.  He just copied what I did, after I helped him out, and took the credit.  Bitter?  You could say that.  I mailed him multiple ROM chips and never got a dime for any of it.

woah, that's unfortunate. sorry to hear that presslab.  it is awesome what you've shared on the boards, i'm sorry it went down with another board member like that.