Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Secondary barrell not opening?

I have 83 GL, EA81 with Carter-Weber. The 2ndary barrel is not flowing any gas. When I rev up to high RPM manually, only the 1st is flowing gas. I can manually open the secondary with a screw driver, gas flows and engine revs.

I don't know enough about these carbs...when should the 2nd open?  I can't seem to get it to flow when revving up in the garage.

I'm having stalling/sputtering problems and I think this may be it.

Wondering if the mechanics are not working. Attached a picture.

post-50248-0-99127500-1383360038_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Had that happen on my '83 a couple of years ago.  Solved it by spraying carb cleaner all over the outside of the carb (and some inside).  Must have loosened whatever was causing the linkages to not open the secondary.  Problem never returned.

Make sure to remove the air cleaner to aid access for spraying.  IIRC, I used about 1/2 can of  Gumout.

• 5 months later...

The issue was two fold...really dirty linkages which were cleaned up with gum out and secondary was it would not open without the engine being under load....once I got it cleaned up, I could tell when it kicked in while driving.

And yes..I did ID the carb incorrectly as a Carter ...it is a Hitachi.