Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oh snap! (ring circlip is stuck in my diff)

How the heck do you get a stranded axle circlip outa the diffirential?

I had a bad rear bearing on my 99 OBW and had to pull both the knuckle and axle that were rusted and going to be just inseperable without the patented puller. The axle didn't look so great anyway so I got a nice U-Pull it replacement for both and thought it was going to be a breeze, especially after fighting with that rear control arm bolt. Not. After it wouldn't go in nicely and then trying more muscle and a few whacks with the persuader I cooled off before I damaged anything (hopefully) and did my homework. Seems that the old snap ring is stuck in place the diff and beyond my reach. I'd like to avoid popping it into the differential so how pray tell do I fish it out?

thankz.

Is the old snap ring not still on the end of the old axle?

They don't fit into any groove in the side gear. It slips all the way past the gear then expands to hold the axle. If it did fall off inside the diff, it fell in the middle of the carrier between the side gears. So if you rotate the diff, it should fall out of the bottom of the carrier and to the case bottom. I don't think this is what's keeping your "new" axle from going in.

The old one popped out nicely but without the ring.

The U-pull it one still had the ring attached.

Uh-oh, don't tell me this is going to be one of those "they changed the diameter of the shaft or # of grooves in mid-1999" type of discussions...

I've got to do some serious measuring and comparing.

Well I compared the two business ends and it seems I didn't learn nuthin from Sesame Street cauz "one of these things is not like the other".  One old one has 24 splines and the other has 22 and looks nuthin like the original. Crap.

Back to the drawing board.

Tried to fish the snap ring out with a hook but it does seem to be in a groove at the end of the gear and wants to stay there. i'll try to ease the replacment shaft in (once I get one) and engage it.

I wonder if I can pull the CV joint apart and swap the ends.....

I'd take it back to where you got it and say they told you it was compatible but it wasn't, and ask for an exchange. Other option might be swapping the carrier over and putting your ring gear on it, just make sure any spacers are installed EXACTLY the same so as to have a proper engagement between the ring and pinion. I had my 95' cover off and these things are extremely simplistic.