Ultimate Subaru Message Board

That is gonna be damn heavy.

One would think.  But keep in mind this won't be road legal......so it will have none of the following

Windshield

Door glass

Rear side glass

Trunk lid

Hood (it'll have plastic panel "hood" covering engine)

Interior

Dashboard(minimal instruments)

HVAC/heatercontrols

Heater Core

And oh yeah......there is basically no roof.

Hmm.....It might need a roll cage??? Maybe

Have you considered just building a buggy off the frame?use a subaru hood/grill/lights for the front.you will need a rollbar/cage because that frame is heavy and you dont want it crushing you.That or have your body more or less a shell,no glass,no doors,no dash other than oil pressure and coolant temp..

.That or have your body more or less a shell,no glass,no doors,no dash other than oil pressure and coolant temp..

That's pretty much all the body will be.  Although, It will have some strutctual element to it.

But like I said, it's gonna be half doors with no glass, no rear hatch and alot of other stuff trimmed out.

As it sits, the frame isn't THAT heavy.  The Trooper frame gets it's strength from boxing, it's not actually that thick except in a few spots.  The F-250 frame rails are heavy yes.....but they basically ARE the lift kit, and will add enough strength to allow me to take out some structure from the unibody in the very back end.

I am shooting for a race weight of 2700 lbs or less.  Should be easy considering my lifted wagon weighs 3000+ and that's got a full wagon body and glass and interior.

My hatch weighed 2500 lbs.Adding the T case,bigger tires,and the assorted steel added 250-300 lbs up from about 2250 lbs.Even though the T case and the bigger tires made it better it still felt abit heavy especially the front.It just seems like in the subaru world you could make something stronger and lighter by building a subframe formed to whatever car you want...I dunno I'm sure it will be cool when your done, but as you said it might not be what you want.

So I got some more done today.

Working on the rear suspension set-up.  I was gonna try some craziness mounting the diff ABOVE the torsion tube.....but that wasn't looking good, so I kept it simple EA81 all the way.  With the exception of the Legacy rear diff mount piece and the F-250 Rear shocks that is.

IMG_0469_zps4da8cfc2.jpg

IMG_0470_zpsc84b2021.jpg

IMG_0475_zps6ccbf032.jpg

IMG_0477_zps9d760396.jpg

IMG_0471_zps17e33d04.jpg

IMG_0476_zps63029b6b.jpg

Keep in mind this is all first stage welded......welded strong enough to support itself for building......but the junctions between all the C- channel pieces will all get gussets later.

I also mounted the steering rack into the front piece of the frame.  Pics later.

Here's a mock up.  Keep in mind here the rear torsion is cranked to max.....but the front torsions are barely even threaded in.....so the front is sitting WAAAY lower than it will be when done.  Although it will have a bit of forward rake still when done.....at least the frame will......the body will be a bit more level when mounted.

IMG_0480_zps2fd0cfa3.jpg

Next to ol" T-Bone for scale

IMG_0481_zps864bb29b.jpg

And here is a clue as to what body and how it will be mounted to the frame.  Anybody care to guess???

IMG_0482_zps9c523638.jpg

This build is looking like a really good candidate for this thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/849050-ghetto-fab-hack-jobs.html

Hmmmm........

I'll take it as a compliment.  Don't think it was meant that way.....but that's how I'll take it.

This think is being built to thrash on at events.

So I can save my road legal trail rig EA81 wagon for trails.

No work on the rig itself today.

But I did manage to turn the rest of an old factory Rubicon transfer gaurd and into a Diff Protector.

Holes for drain plugs and mounting to the front portion still to come.  I'll be combining it with an EJ series diff mount craddle to make a fully armored rear diff and driveline.

Here's the start.  The first pic has a crazy optical illusion but it's more or less centered and right angle to the diff.

IMG_0491_zps918fc249.jpg

IMG_0490_zps2b23a131.jpg

IMG_0492_zpscd19489d.jpg

IMG_0489_zps95f86927.jpg

Hmmmm........

I'll take it as a compliment.  Don't think it was meant that way.....but that's how I'll take it.

Not meant as an insult or a compliment. Hack fab can be a lot of fun, but don't be surprised if other's see it for the pile of welded together scrap it is and judge you because of it.

I have often slapped something together and said "F it, good enough" but it isn't stuff I'd want my name on.

Not meant as an insult or a compliment. Hack fab can be a lot of fun, but don't be surprised if other's see it for the pile of welded together scrap it is and judge you because of it.

I have often slapped something together and said "F it, good enough" but it isn't stuff I'd want my name on.

Yeah,,,,,,I get it.

Some people think if you didn't spend alot of money on pretty CNC stuff that it's junk.

I am building it like this because it's what I've got.

My money goes to my family, my kids, and my future.  I can only have fun 4 wheelin' if it's not taking away from my real financial responsibilities. 

So I am proud of this build.....and I will be happy to put my name on the welds, the structure, and so on.  It absolutely is a pile of scrap.  And taking scrap and turning it into badass rumproast wheeler is the whole point. 

Anybody can throw money and bolt on parts at a Jeep or Yota or whatever.   It takes real thought, work, and soul to make something out of nothing.

All it comes down to is you stretching your fab skills to the limit. I have seen plenty of people take a Toyota and bootyfab the spoob out of it. Its all about growing. People are used to seeing professional fabbed bullshit all over. They hardly ever see all the process that it took to get spoob right the first time. You'll learn from the mistakes you make here and will change them later.

I can't wait to see it run.

cheers

This build is looking like a really good candidate for this thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/849050-ghetto-fab-hack-jobs.html

OMMAAAGOODNESS

I spent 5 hours laughing my farking drunk arse off looking at that thread last night.

I DEFINATELY take it as a compliment.  I can only hope to be honored in those hallowed halls.

Okay......so it may or may not come out as cool as this...... (probaly not)

XT6lifted-1.jpg

But it for sure will be a HELL of alot better than this....

GhettoXt6_zps1db4bf23.jpeg

GhettoXt6_2_zpsaa303ec7.jpeg

No offense if this is your car....but what the???

Edited by Gloyale

Okay......so it may or may not come out as cool as this...... (probaly not)

XT6lifted-1.jpg

Make sure to use better tires than he did, I have it on video failing pretty miserably with the Thornbirds.  

And so you know.  The guy who owned this complained about complete lack of visibility.  

Make sure to use better tires than he did, I have it on video failing pretty miserably with the Thornbirds.  

And so you know.  The guy who owned this complained about complete lack of visibility.  

Doesn't look like he air them down much! lol

Yeah.....visibility has been considered.

A few ideas to address that.

1) The forward rake of the body......I want it to have the rump roast in the air and nose pointed down. 

2) 3" spacer under the seats, seats forward and higher than stock location. (stock seat spacers from the trooper bolt right up to EA81 seats)

3) No windshield..........and likely no roof for that matter.   The top will be a roll cage (gonna get some help fabbing this part Pro-Style, Safety First)....so I can sit more upright and not hit the top of windshield frame.  It doesn't really have a roof as it is, since the large sunroof that is basically the whole top blew away while towing (I wasn't part of that towing, for the record)

4)  There will be no trunk, and the very rear panel will be chopped down an bit turning the trunk into a mini truck bed/spare tire storage (think trophy truck)

5)  Half doors with Amo can armrests.

And with all that said......it's unlike to ever see snow.  This will be a 3 season wheeler considering it's basically gonna be an open buggy.

Edited by Gloyale

Well, it's officially a 4 wheeled chassis.  The wheelbase is set.  100-1/2"

The stock XT wheelbase is 97",

Body will mount with with the front wheels 2-1/2" forward of the stock centerline.  Leaving the rear 1" back from stock.

It was too dark when I finished today to take pics.  I'll try to get them tommorow.

Major steps towards mounting the body this weekend.

Sunday I worked on getting the body into position on some pillars to roll the subframe underneath.  This also accomplishes getting the trailer cleared off to haul the frame over.  My buddy was gracious engouh to let me do this in his nice, flat, paved driveway......rather than my slanted gravel mess at my house.IMG_0504_zps5bebfbec.jpg

IMG_0515_zps055936f2.jpg

IMG_0516_zps4e126cd9.jpg

So with the body perched 40" in the air, I gotta get the frame/drivetrain fisished up enough to install under the body.

Today's job......Final mounting of transfer case.  Re-used one of the nissan mounts and 2 cut pieces of a Legacy rear diff mount to mount it.  I made it to be easily removable, and with the one short mount in front, and 2 long in the rear.......the rear frame can twist a bit and the long arms and rubber bushings of the legecy mounts will allow alot of flex.

IMG_0520_zpsbc64e9de.jpg

IMG_0521_zps647b98c4.jpg

IMG_0524_zpsccf0e053.jpg

IMG_0533_zps9cbbc71f.jpg

Last thing today, I mapped out the reinforcement plates for the front/rear junction....First, cut out of cardboard.

IMG_0522_zps8a3104df.jpg

Then traced out on a piece of 3/8ths plate.  Cuts and welds to come tommorrow.  Then final slag removal end painting.....a final and full bolt installation, and the frame will be ready to mount under the body.

IMG_0523_zpsd3035107.jpg

The fun contiinues.......

IMG_0525_zps0e552b53.jpg

IMG_0531_zps3f41442d.jpg