Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, after being able to roll it around some I found the steering rack was not in the right place.  Toe was correct straight ahead but as you turned the wheel, the toe would go WAAAAY inward.  Not good.

A look up under my buddy's stock 86 Trooper Diesel revealed that the stock draglink/centerlink moved in a location further up, and back from where I mounted the rack.  This centerlink location is where I really need to place the steering rack to keep the stock Geometry.

The post above pic shows how the steering was, in relation to the diff mount/mustache bar.

And here is how it is now.  Had to notch the channel the rack is mounted in.  And relocate the mustache bar above the rack.

IMG_0544_zpsb19b0c6a.jpg

IMG_0542_zps1cfc2165.jpg

IMG_0543_zpscfecefdd.jpg

Here was the other issue that's fixed now.  The frame rail curve was forcing me to mount the rack lower than I wanted whilst in the first position.  Moving it back placed it JUST inside the curve so I could get it higher up, perhaps a 1/2" or less forward of the stock location.

IMG_0545_zps011e29c8.jpg

.I think it will be good enough seeing as this thing will never see pavement......I dunno.....gotta hook it up behind a cart and pull it around the lot to test the steering a bit more maybe.

Also, here is the rear diff mount plate.  Recyled piece of Rubicon transfercase plate, and the outer end of the stock trooper crossmember.

A bit ugly but tough as heck.  Tried heating this jeep plate to bend and it would not budge, cherry red hot.....it's strong steel for the thickness.  I like how it sticks out to the sides some and gaurds the Inner axle cups a bit.IMG_0546_zps981b9f2f.jpg

IMG_0548_zps34715637.jpg

Progress has been slowed by the unussually fridgid temps here lately.

I did manange to get the trans crossmember mounting finished up.  so the whole drivetrain mounts are in place.  Once the body goes on, the engine and trans can go in.

IMG_0578_zpsef7d3a08.jpg

IMG_0579_zpsce16922a.jpg

IMG_0577_zpsd7a6e414.jpg

Progress was slowed somewhat by this.  It's very unusual for this area.  And it's all still here 4 days later.  It's been welllllllll below freezing for a week straight.

IMG_0601_zps33cf6978.jpg

IMG_0602_zps48d8a5b3.jpg

My boys standing on the pond.  Wonder if I could drive the Subie on it??

IMG_0653_zps83238d5c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Alright......Back to work on this Be-atch

Nothing too exciting.  Finally got the frame on the trailer, and towed it over to my buddy's house to use the big D/C Generator welder to do this:

IMG_0701_zps2bef34ac.jpg

IMG_0702_zpsa608af15.jpg

IMG_0704_zps6f977cc4.jpg

IMG_0707_zpsaff5c028.jpg

He's also got the nice air "needle" power slag remval tool....so I took the chance to clean up alot of the slag before painting.

IMG_0703_zps368f27f6.jpg

Finally ready to mount the body!!!

• 4 weeks later...

WELL THEN< MOUNT THE BEATCH!!!! LOL

can't wait to see this.....

Request Granted.

IMG_0742_zps4c6c9dc1.jpg

IMG_0733_zps70b2a897.jpg

Front view.......narrow offset Nissan rims used for rolling it under the body between the logs.  lol.. The wheels for it will be wider offset and not look so stupid.  Camber should settle out once the weight of the engine is in and it's on 33's

IMG_0734_zps66c7e7be.jpg

It fit perfect on the mounts I made.  Still needs alot of work

Engine, Trans, Drivelines, Brakes.....and that's after I actually fully finish attaching the body.  But this thing WILL be moshin' the pit by April.  Game back on.

is the frame gonna get moved backwards a bit?It looks all sorts of wrong.

It needs to be shoved about 1 inch back from where it sits to meet the mounts I've made, but mostly that's the way it will sit. The front wheels are intentionally waaay forward of stock.  Front fenders will get trimmed out and flared for clearance Baja style.

The rear wheel wells will get trimmed out for the wheel clearance.  But not much....remember the rear wheels travel backwards in their arc when compressed.

The body behind the rear wheel will get chopped out for departure angle.

• 1 month later...

Bravo sir! I admire your ability to think up something so custom, but still ACTUALLY build it!

I wish I had saved a pic I mocked up to the frame in Paint when you first unveiled the body. it was fairly accurate!

Keep up the good work, Good luck! 

Just commenting to follow  :)

Isn't there a follow button up top?

IMG_0879_zps5814fdb9.jpg

IMG_0881_zpsc8d0d4ed.jpg

Body mount pics when the body is actually mounted.

We got good weather this week.....so should get to it.....then again......gotta pay bills before I fart around with this pile o'spoob madness.......so awesome when it's done though.....

• Like 1

SWEET! sorry to clutter here... but the coilovers i see hanging in the rear wheel wells in this picture... what ever happened to them? im interested in buying if the price is right...

IMG_0516_zps4e126cd9.jpg

They are junk.

One's bent.....the other has no rebound or dampening

Both had the springs cut down about 2" for a ghetto lowride job back when it was a car.

more betterer! That alignment is gonna help you in the long run.

Can't wait to see it rollin.

When is that comp you are getting ready for?

cheers, me

It's on;y forward from where it had been about 2".  Just enough.

I thought it was Early may......but they had an early event in Februaury at the same location.......so I don't if there will be another in May.  Gonna just keep pluggin along.

• Like 1

A little more today.  Hard to get anything done.....every time I get set to weld....the wind picks up.....a 1mph breeze is enough to completely blow away my shielding gasses........aaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhh!!!

WARNING! THE WELDS YOU ARE ABOUT TO SEE ARE CRAP.................and will be blasted over with the 220v machine, in the still air of a nice warm shop.......once I get this thing trailer ready with steering..LOL

IMG_0904_zps36ed61d4.jpg

IMG_0906_zps3be445a0.jpg

Her first flex.........isn't it adorable.......

IMG_0902_zpse06dfc1d.jpg

Drivers side rear wheel well clearanced......this is almost completely flexed out......the bumpstops will hit before it touches the body now.

IMG_0910_zps3c97f4af.jpg

IMG_0909_zps476ef5ab.jpg

I cut the outer skin away, and pounded the inner fenderwell until it met up with the new edge, then welded.....ugly.....damn wind.....but it's good enough.

IMG_0907_zpsedbd8d5e.jpg

IMG_0908_zps00fa5cc9.jpg

• Like 2

Steering and front sheet metal removal.

Front Fender.  Took a bit too much maybe?  Whatever......She's ready for 35s!!!

IMG_0916_zps0cc4fcef.jpg

Notice anything missing?  upper radiator support, and hood latch gone.......Radiator will be in the back seat....So no need to have support there......Hood will be a piece of sheetmetal or fiberglass and close with pins.........backpack blower snorkel piece mocked up. :)  It will be outside the fender when installed.

IMG_0917_zps4ed639a7.jpg

Longest steering coupler I've ever made.  Turbine shaft from 4EAT trans worked perfect....

IMG_0911_zps07905732.jpg

IMG_0912_zps14846ded.jpg

IMG_0913_zpsb023fcb2.jpg

IMG_0920_zpsdbdf4260.jpg

IMG_0921_zpsaa71ccdd.jpg

And finally.......The lump..... 88 XT N/A w/ Spider intake.....Courtesy of WonderWedgie88 IIRC

IMG_0915_zps2a21e5a8.jpg

I know.....I know.......It should get an EJ.....but I like the N/A EA82 MPFI and the huge radiator capacity should keep it under control.

Besides......I want to keep it "stock" lol

Edited by Gloyale

More work on the front end.  Bolted 2 of the 3 radius rod plate holes down to the frame.......had to make some curved pieces to leave access to the trans cross member bolts.

IMG_0926_zps242d8c9a.jpg

IMG_0928_zpsd3923ab8.jpg

IMG_0927_zpsd67605cc.jpg

And some work on the rear end.....These sliders will be multipurpose......Slide the rump roast end off of obstacles, form a frame for gas tank protection, gaurd at least part of the axles and inner cups when backing up, and will be anchors for the rear bumper/winch reciever hitch.  And it will stiffen the mounting point of the rear diff.  Only had enough steel to do one side so far.

Much more reinforcement will be added.  The gas tank gaurd, middle section part will be bolt in later so I can still drop the tank if needed.

IMG_0924_zps6925140b.jpg

IMG_0933_zpsa923333e.jpg

IMG_0934_zps1cf4d504.jpg

Edited by Gloyale