Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternator tested (good) New Battery. Battery Drains, Car Dies.. Battery is draining?

I have a 95 Subaru Legacy, Starting to feel like my parents gave me a money pit. But I'm hoping to come out with a Money pit worth having. Did the wheel bearing myself, Car doesn't have reverse (Got transmission, going to get it swapped) The transmission sets me a little over 1000 for used transmission and trans swap. Just recently I got a battery light, car died while driving. I took the alternator out and the battery to the parts store, they tested both of them and determined my alternator was good, but the battery was bad. I bought a $125 battery for it, and here I am two days later battery light on earlier today and car dies while driving tonight.  Some how "my alternator is good" but my battery is not getting charged. Anyone have this problem, Where do I start?? 

Thanks for all the help here ya'll. I got some great info when I originally posted about my transmission which led me to finding a decent deal on a used transmission. 

Travis-

So here's my quick update. My room mate gave me jump to get home. recommended I disconnect the battery. So I went to go see if it would start again, and it did. I revved it up and the RPM's passed 3k the battery light went off? I'm pretty stumped. .. ..

are multiple dash lights coming on before the car dies? (not just battery light) if they are, it is definitely alternator.

I had a bad alternator that would test fine at the parts store - in the car - but was failing under actual driving conditions due to heat. As soon as I opened the hood, the excess engine heat would escape and the alt would be fine for the test. It took multiple tests and a lot of complaining over the course of several weeks to finally get it replaced (lifetime warranty alt from Advance Auto). Was going through these at about 1 per year...they are basically junk

During all that, I had a local alternator/starter specialty shop rebuild an old stock unit I had - put that in the car and have not had a problem since - the lifetime warranty replacement unit is sitting on a shelf as an emergency back-up - that I will probably never use...

The oil at temp light comes on, the RPM's drop to zero, lights all die. everything points to a bad alternator. I would hate to spend $140 and there be a bad connection somewhere. Just wondering if it is common for a connection problem to cause this, or if advanced auto parts is just a dumb as they seemed.  ( watched two people go to the back to get themselves food before someone actually asked me sitting there with an alternator on the counter if i needed help)

From what I have seen Advance Auto parts is the last place that I would take or buy anything from.

Check around your area and see if there is a alternator rebuilding shop. These shops are usually ran by a old guy that is chomping down on a cigar but they know their stuff.

• Like 1

what jp98 said...find a local starter/alternator shop and go talk to them.

it is fairly uncommon to have a connection issue, but it never hurts to take a good look at the connections at the alternator and at the battery. any problems with those should be fairly obvious - corrosion, any melting/burning. Also check in the underhood fuse box - make sure nothing looks corroded or cooked in there.

If the main fusible link (looks like a short length of black wire w/connectors on each end) were bad, the car wouldnt even start, so I think we can rule that out...

as for Advance Auto - the quality of the help is going to vary with location. the one by me has a couple that are OK & one that knows a fair amount, but most - not so much...

Edited by heartless

There is a recent post last week over on page 2 of this forum from Bushwick, and his problems with 95 alternator. Post titled...........

Replacing/fixing alternator 95 Legacy

talks about getting new alternator from the dealer for $75. Check out the post and responses.

From symptoms you describe, it does sound like a bad alternator.

t

Clink on the link to read    

Edited by Rooster2

Advance Auto Parts is my 1st choice store to buy parts. They have the most responsive counter people of all the parts store in my area where I live, (Indianapolis). Usually, I buy parts from them online, and save 20-30%, then pick up the parts at their store. I have never had an issue with quality.

Guess the Advance Auto Parts you shopped hired a bunch of lazy Bozos. It happens!