Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Could someone give me the lowdown on front control arm bushings for a 2009 base impreza, and by what names/terminology they generally go by? I was told that the bushings on the front control arm are in need of replacement but I've seen them listed under a number of different terms so am trying to get a clear idea of what I'm looking for. I've seen "Front Lower Inner", "Front Rear", "Front Lower Control Arm, Rear Position" etc. etc. With all the different terminology I'm having a hard time trying to sort it out.

Also what brand name would someone recommend for replacements? 

You have an '09 that needs control arm bushings?

That genuinely surprises me.

Some hack didn't tell you right?

This guy didn't tell you which bushing(s) needs replacing?

Both front control arms?

In the end, if you truly do need to replace any bushing - nab some polyurethanes from Energy.

That's what I'd do. Not if it's one side though. That'd be undesireable.

Poke your head down there and try to identify what this guy's talking about.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Doesn't surprise me. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure Subaru has a TSB out for the front control arm bushings. Doesn't mean they'll replace them for free, just means they've sent a bulletin out so their technicians will know how to diagnose and replace them.

Checking the bushings is really easy and you can do it in your driveway without even jacking up the car. Grab a flashlight and lay down next to the car, looking under the car about between the front wheel and the front mud-flap/rock guard. Look slightly forward and you'll see the front control arm where it arcs towards the back of the car, and at the end it meets a large round bushing that secures it to the frame.

This is called the "Transverse link rear bushing" by Subaru. Some call it a front control arm rear bushing, both mean the same thing.

On the older cars this bushing was filled with a heavy silicone fluid that helps control motion while maintaining low NVH (noise, vibration, harness) transfer to the vehicle chassis. Pretty sure that's still a fluid filled bushing though the design has changed in recent years. If the bushing splits, the silicone fluid leaks out, and it loses its ability to control the motion of the transverse link (control arm).

Check the bushing for signs of leaking a heavy greyish colored grease. If its leaking, the bushing will need to be replaced.

Yes, the bushings need replacement as they are de-laminating. That 'hack' was kind enough to show me when the car was on the lift. Usually when I need a repair I go buy the parts and my mechanic will install them for me as he's a family member. What I'm having a problem with is all the different terminologies that seems to go with this particular part and if they all refer to the same bushing or if there is another bushing in the same general vicinity that could have a similar name. I don't want to purchase the wrong part. So when one seller advertises a  "Front Lower Inner control arm bushing" is that the same as a "front control arm rear bushing" or a 'front rear" bushing etc etc.  I believe that even the wrx and sti are different in this regard as well so I want to make sure I don't inadvertently purchase something that won't fit.

And of course brand name recommendations are always appreciated :)

I didnt know you could get these anywhere but the dealer. But anything that says "inner" is going to be the front control arm "front" bushing, and is not the bushing you need.

You need the Tranverse link "rear" bushing or Front control arm "rear" bushing.

Some manufacturers will refer to this as the "front lower control arm", which technically is right. It's the lower arm, but it's also the ONLY control arm.