Ultimate Subaru Message Board

extending linkage

92loyale59

Did you remove the plate around where the shifters come through? The non dual range cars have a sheet metal plate that covers some of the hole in the floor. It just screw on. Make sure you have removed that, and the hole in the flor will be bigger and allow for full movement.

yes i removed the plate around the shifter . it will engage in FWD (i think car isnt running yet) without any of the interior console installed . but yeah it is a 2 inch lift at the strut tops front and back and i dropped the engine and tranny x member and radius rod mounts down 1.5 inchs along with extending the steering 1 inch ( i tried a 1.5 steering extension and it didnt fit. tried on two cars with same lift still no luck so i made it one inch) how do you extend the d/r linkage though. thanks

What He ^ said.

OR

There is NO DEFINITIVE answer to your question without seeing your car. Pictures help ALOT!!!!

Every situation is different, no matter what all of us say.

There is some weird little quirk that defies the world of reason and quantifies insanity !

How shall we overcome this damned obsession to lift and modify?

Just do it.

You see that spot it is hitting.

HIT IT WITH A BIG FAWKING HAMMER!!!!!

Don't be afraid, it's ok. It will only hurt her a bit.

You are now able to go on and just bash her,because she is not perfect anymore.... lol

MAKE IT FIT.

cheers

Edited by monstaru

I dropped my tranny 2.5" and have no issues at all. Enngages all gears perfect, no rubbing on anything.

Do you have a Dual range????

Shifting isn't the issue....it's the distance between the trans and the D/R linkage changes....requiring the lever to move to a further part of it's arc to get to the 2wd.

Do you have a Dual range????

Shifting isn't the issue....it's the distance between the trans and the D/R linkage changes....requiring the lever to move to a further part of it's arc to get to the 2wd.

Yes, I installed a dual range into my 90 Loyale with a 4" lift, and the tranny crossmember is dropped 2.5". Absolutely nothing touches or hits. Everything moves freely shifting into all gears, even 4wd lo and hi.

Yes, I installed a dual range into my 90 Loyale with a 4" lift, and the tranny crossmember is dropped 2.5". Absolutely nothing touches or hits. Everything moves freely shifting into all gears, even 4wd lo and hi.

the 4wd hi and low are the easiest to get into fwd is the problem . i can get into it just not with interior in . pictures to come

If you could figure out where the stock linkage is with no lift in relation to the body, IE X" horizontal from the transmission and Y" vertical from the transmission it wouldn't be hard to figure out how much to extend everything without all the guess work.The linkages act on pivots so if free to move they would trace an arc from their centerpoint. In the case of dropping the crossmember its as if the radius of that "arc" has been shortened.So the shifter needs to move farther to do the same amount of work.Granted that might be a bit more math than just welding spoob together but the shifter would behave just like stock. Maybe someone has a stock DR 5 speed car that they could measure where the shifter sits in relation to the transmission/body, then it would be simple to figure out how much to extend the linkage for ANY lift. Finding a stock subaru though might prove to be a problem.