Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 Brat running funky, stumbling at low RPMs, stalling, can barely get into gear

Is seems I'll never run out of problems to ask you guys about...

So it has been rather hard to start now that it's getting cold here in VA, I've actually had to use starting fluid a number of times.  But yesterday I was running errands all day and while it ran fine most of the day, by the time it got dark the engine started stumbling at low rpms... sometimes I could have the pedal floored with no response and was forced to downshift...progressively got worse... and today, even though it was warmed up, it stalled at a stop sign, couldn't get it into gear for like 5 minutes without stalling.  It idled at like 500 rpms (usually its between 700-1000).  It would rev better in neutral than when driving (still crappy though).  I ended up just coating the air filter in starting fluid and I got home just fine, as much as i hate resorting to starting fluid. 

Oil is slightly low, but not to where it should hamper performance. Coolant is fine and relatively young.  Spark plugs were replaced last night, didn't help.  

My small oil leak has been getting worse, mostly from the oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets which I will replace today, a little bit seems to come from the sender, which was recently replaced so I'm hesitant to replace it again.  Maybe it just needs some teflon.  Not sure if this increased oil leakage could have anything to do with it running like crap...

Any suggestions?

They made brats in 86 realy anyway check the diss shaft for play and check the mas air flow door moves freely and no air leaks anywere inline with intake plumbing and check for water or dirt in feul fill also have seen cars in this era plug the PU screen in the tank and not get enuff feul

Ivan- the US got brats till 87, and they were still carbed.

As for the OP- Are you saying that using starting fluid makes all your problems go away? That could mean fuel delivery issue.

But it sounds like you have an issue with your ignition system somewhere. Coils do funky things with temperature fluctuations. Vacuum advance also has a big play on what you're describing.

#1 dose it have a working heat riser ? mabee freezing up carb also have you changed the rear feul fillter and given it some gasline antifreeze in case of water in feul. Clasic ea81 crbed car is carb freezeup on cold wet days give it five min of sitting and runs fine ? or will just not go anytime ?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, I haven't been online lately.  I used some SeaFoam in the gas, supposed to clean fuel lines, carburetor, etc. and that certainly made a small difference in the way it runs.  I replaced the fuel filter (the previous one looked about 100k miles old) today and I could notice a small power difference as soon as I started it up.  What worries me is that this stumbling happens randomly only once it is warmed up.  I haven't driven more than 5 miles on this fuel filter so I'm not sure if the problem was solved.  I'm hoping for the best, but I will let you know.