Ultimate Subaru Message Board

06 Forester head gaskets leaking

06 Forester with appr 140k.  Car has run perfectly from day one, regular maintenance has been done including t-belts etc.  The other day while having it serviced we were told that the head gaskets have started to leak.  The tech said it wasn't critical at the moment but that obviously they need to be changed. 

1) How big of a project is this?  I've done head gaskets on a straight six ford but never a Subie motor.  Is this within the realm of an electrician with decent mechanical abilities?

2) I'm guessing probably not so what is a ballpark that this should run?

3) Anyone know of a good shop in the southwest Iowa area?  We live in a small town that doesn't cater to imports all that much but we get to Des Moines and Omaha fairly often, and Kansas City isn't that far either. 

Any tips appreciated, Matt. 

Yes, you could do it.  I'd first check and see how bad the leak is and if it's Oil or Antifreeze.  

Clean the engine well and then park over a sheet to collect the fluid.  

Small leaks can go for a long time without much of an issue as long as you keep the fluids full.

Do a search on the USMB and you will find lots of good information.

Have you done your Timing Belt?  If not you can do it all at the same time.  If you take it to a shop, make sure they specialize in Subaru's.

$1,500 - $2,000.  Make sure the heads are resurfaced, Subaru doesn't typically do that.

But I would hold off for the moment and see how bad it is.  Can you post a picture of the leak - it's underneath the vehicle?

If the tech said it's "not critical" then you can hold off for the moment as there's no immediate concern with this particular engine.

This particular engine starts very slowly seeping oil or coolant (or both) externally.  It could be a very small amount of wetness and not really a "leak" at all.  I wouldn't go in for heart surgery on such a benign symptom.  They can run for years with seeping gaskets, not a big deal. That you haven't mentioned any other symptoms...no loss of fluids for instance, suggests this is very minor.

If it's coolant, have the coolant changed and install Subaru's required Coolant Conditioner. That will stop initial seeping.

If it's oil there's nothing you can do but I'd gauge how bad it is.

Did the tech discuss with you about adding Subaru's coolant conditioner? If not, then I would try that product first. Others on this forum have said that it works great in stopping minor leaks. The product is just a "stop leak" product for the cooling system.

Would assume that you have had the timing belt replaced during your ownership.